Question PC fails to boot into Windows due to missing files ?

May 4, 2022
My pc just got a GSOD after restart I was only getting an error saying failed to recover pc due to missing files. I've attempted to; do an automatic repair (it fails), reinstall windows (won't allow me to install on any drive), even restart this pc throws an error. Is there any fix I can do without doing a fresh install? I really need my personal files.

Pc specs:
Motherboard: Asus strix b450 gaming
CPU: ryzen 5 3600
GPU: Evga 3070ti ftw3
Storage: Western Digital HDD, Western Digital SSD, Leven SSD, Patriot Viper NVME

My pc just got a GSOD after restart I was only getting an error saying failed to recover pc due to missing files. I've attempted to; do an automatic repair (it fails), reinstall windows (won't allow me to install on any drive), even restart this pc throws an error. Is there any fix I can do without doing a fresh install? I really need my personal files.

Pc specs:
Motherboard: Asus strix b450 gaming
CPU: ryzen 5 3600
GPU: Evga 3070ti ftw3
Storage: Western Digital HDD, Western Digital SSD, Leven SSD, Patriot Viper NVME
You will most likely need to operate outside of the Windows environment to recover your personal files. Try downloading a linux live distro (e.g. LinuxMint Mate) and mount it on a usb stick (rufus.ie) and then boot from that usb. See if the Linux file manager will allow them to move your personal files off of the damaged disk. If successful, once there is nothing left on the damaged disk use the linux Gparted app to remove all of the old partitions from the damaged disk so that all of the space is unallocated and to verify that the disk has a GPT partition identifier. The disk will then be ready for a reinstall of Windows. Note that the Windows installer wants you to have only 1 disk connected at install time; others can be added later.

Reactions: bloodborn24
May 4, 2022
You will most likely need to operate outside of the Windows environment to recover your personal files. Try downloading a linux live distro (e.g. LinuxMint Mate) and mount it on a usb stick (rufus.ie) and then boot from that usb. See if the Linux file manager will allow them to move your personal files off of the damaged disk. If successful, once there is nothing left on the damaged disk use the linux Gparted app to remove all of the old partitions from the damaged disk so that all of the space is unallocated and to verify that the disk has a GPT partition identifier. The disk will then be ready for a reinstall of Windows. Note that the Windows installer wants you to have only 1 disk connected at install time; others can be added later.
I will give that a go, thanks for the response

Reactions: dwd999
May 4, 2022
I got linux running, however at the bootup screen I noticed an error saying "nvme01 not ready aborting".. something along those lines. It has mounted both ssd's but not the others. Unfortunately I do not need anything from these as they only hold game installs.

Last edited:
I got linux running, however at the bootup screen I noticed an error saying "nvme01 not ready aborting".. something along those lines. It has mounted both ssd's but not the others. Unfortunately I do not need anything from these as they only hold game installs.
Was that one of the images from this webpage like the one from Harvard:

https://linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=293

You could always try an alternate distro like Ubunut:

https://ubuntu.com/download/desktop/thank-you?version=22.04&architecture=amd64

Did you mount it on a usb using the default rufus settings without making any changes?
Did you try both Linux startup modes, the default and the second compatible mode?
I have never seen an error like that before and it sees my nvme perfectly. If it means that your motherboard shorted out your nvmes or the mounting sockets are a problem then that would be more serious. Your last resort may be to try those drives in another computer or an external enclosure.

May 4, 2022

Did you mount it on a usb using the default rufus settings without making any changes?
Did you try both Linux startup modes, the default and the second compatible mode?
I have never seen an error like that before and it sees my nvme perfectly. If it means that your motherboard shorted out your nvmes or the mounting sockets are a problem then that would be more serious. Your last resort may be to try those drives in another computer or an external enclosure.
Thanks for getting back to me and no I uploaded the image. I wasn't having any luck with it, so I tried this and so far I think I've gotten a work around. I formatted one of the ssds, since it only had game installs on it and managed to get windows on it. Upon bootup I was able to connect my hdd and grab files off it. I'm about to try the same with my nvme.

Reactions: dwd999
May 4, 2022

So the nvme is still giving me trouble. When its installed the pc is stuck on a black screen, uninstalled however boots fine. I'm unsure if this is the nvme being dead or maybe it's trying to boot the old broken windows install instead of my fresh one.

The nvme is detected in bios, but whatever I try I cannot get it to show in disk manager

Last edited: