Question PC fails to boot suddenly

Aug 17, 2019
Hi,

This morning when I turned on my PC, it went into Windows Automatic Recovery, then powered off and crashed during normal Windows 10 loading screen (right at the end).

The PC was booting fine yesterday. The only thing of note that happened was an abrupt power cut midday yesterday. I did also change my case and CPU cooler 2 months ago but it has been fine right up until today

I disconnected everything except:

Motherboard (Gigabyte Z99 SLI)
CPU (Intel i7 5820k)
RAM (4x 4Gb Corsair Vengeance)
GPU (Gigabyte 2080Ti)
CD drive

Then tried to boot from a Windows CD and it crashes at the same place, right at the end of the Windows loading (with the spinning dots).

I've tried pulling CMOS battery
I've updated BIOS
I've tried multiple combos of RAM (including all 4 sticks individually and in pairs)
I've tried a different GPU

All cause the same crash.

I then created a Ubuntu bootable USB, it asked me to install Ubuntu or start in Live mode and after making a selection, black screen and nothing.

My guess is it's either CPU or motherboard at this point.

I can get to BIOS which displays memory and CPU as expected.

Any ideas how I should proceed to work out the cause? I've not got another CPU and/or montherboard with the same socket to test switching either out.

Any help or suggestions would be awesome,

Thanks

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Welcome to the forums my friend!

So you have tried to recovery windows to no avail, as well as try to install Ubuntu to no avail?
In the meantime you also reset CMOS and moved RAM around?

Have you also tried installing to a different storage drive to see if the original drive is at fault?

Aug 17, 2019
Welcome to the forums my friend!

So you have tried to recovery windows to no avail, as well as try to install Ubuntu to no avail?
In the meantime you also reset CMOS and moved RAM around?

Have you also tried installing to a different storage drive to see if the original drive is at fault?

Hey, thanks for the speedy reply.

I tried to recover Windows using a Windows Bootable CD but it crashes right before loading into the wizard. (Literally as the Windows logo starts to fade away). The same crash happens when I try and load from Windows on my SSD. Same place too.

Already tried pulling CMOS battery, updating BIOS and moving RAM around. Same crash remains.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Hey, thanks for the speedy reply.

I tried to recover Windows using a Windows Bootable CD but it crashes right before loading into the wizard. (Literally as the Windows logo starts to fade away). The same crash happens when I try and load from Windows on my SSD. Same place too.

Already tried pulling CMOS battery, updating BIOS and moving RAM around. Same crash remains.
Have you disconnected all other drives except the one you want to install on during the clean install? Leaving other drives connected can cause the Windows installer to get a bit confused at times. Worth a try.

I noticed you stated you removed all RAM too, I would stick to 1 module and swap it around for the time being to eliminate suspects, and that you also tried different GPU too.

What is your PSU make and model?

Aug 17, 2019
Have you disconnected all other drives except the one you want to install on during the clean install? Leaving other drives connected can cause the Windows installer to get a bit confused at times. Worth a try.

I noticed you stated you removed all RAM too, I would stick to 1 module and swap it around for the time being to eliminate suspects, and that you also tried different GPU too.

What is your PSU make and model?

At the moment, I've disconnected ALL HDD and SSD just to get to Wizard actually loading. See OP for exact things that are connected.

I've tried all 4 RAM sticks in different combos including all individually and in pairs.

PSU is Corsair RM1000

Aug 17, 2019
At the moment, I've disconnected ALL HDD and SSD just to get to Wizard actually loading. See OP for exact things that are connected.

I've tried all 4 RAM sticks in different combos including all individually and in pairs.

PSU is Corsair RM1000

Here is the crash (watch till the very end and you'll see what I mean). This exact crash happens when I try booting from Windows CD OR SSD with Windows installed. Exactly the same.

https://streamable.com/2d2zi

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
No need to bump. (In fact I think it's not allowed). Apologies for the delayed response anyway but i have been unavailable.

So you've tried different storage drives.
You've tried each RAM individually.
You've tried a different GPU.

The only thing of note that happened was an abrupt power cut midday yesterday
This could well be a point of concern though - how long have you had your PSU?

Aug 17, 2019
No need to bump. (In fact I think it's not allowed). Apologies for the delayed response anyway but i have been unavailable.

So you've tried different storage drives.
You've tried each RAM individually.
You've tried a different GPU.

This could well be a point of concern though - how long have you had your PSU?

Sorry, I was bumping to see if anyone else wanted to give their 2 cents.

So I just made a breakthrough, put an old 500w PSU to power just the CPU, motherboard and CD drive and the crash no longer occurs.

My Corsair RM1000 is the culprit!

Going to grab a new PSU and I'm expecting everything should still be working as expected

Thanks for all your help!

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Sorry, I was bumping to see if anyone else wanted to give their 2 cents.

So I just made a breakthrough, put an old 500w PSU to power just the CPU, motherboard and CD drive and the crash no longer occurs.

My Corsair RM1000 is the culprit!

Going to grab a new PSU and I'm expecting everything should still be working as expected

Thanks for all your help!
So the power cut comment was actually going down the right path after all?
It was on a reread I noticed the power cut, which are renowned for damaging PSUs.
Glad you've found it!