Question Pc fails to boot up repeatedly and restarts automatically

Apr 2, 2019
My pc is only 1 year old. This problem had only recently surfaced where my pc would sometimes fail to boot up. It would not boot pass the page where you can access bios from, and I have to restart the pc hoping that it would boot up.
The problem first occurred 2 months ago and I thought it was maybe just the system slowing down since it only happened twice since then, but today it suddenly worsen. My pc wouldn't even boot up, the fans and lights would start and stop after 3 or so. If it does manages to boot up however, it wouldn't even work for more than 10 mins without restarting automatically.
My specs are
GPU : zotac 1050 ti oc
PSU: seasonic s12II 520 BRONZE
cpu: i5-7400
Ssd: WD GREEN 120gb
Ram: Kingston 8gb 1 stick
Mobo: h110mh pro d4
My hard disk is pretty old so I can only rmb that it's a Seagate 1TB

Apr 2, 2019
At what point does it restart?
Does it get past POST in most cases?
Do you have any logs in the event viewer for the shut downs?

Initial thoughts lie on your PSU being at fault. Random restarts are indicative of a power issue.
It restarts around 5-10 mins after reaching my desktop page/wallpeper.
Sorry I don't know what you meant by POST?
And how do I check the logs in the event viewer?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
POST is the power on self test, and usually where you encounter beep codes. It's just before you get into the BIOS where the PC checks general integrity before powering up fully. Takes split seconds usually. So if you can get into BIOS / OS, you're getting past POST. So no problem there.

Start > Event Viewer > Windows Logs > System

You'll have red error exclamations for critical items. If it's been restarting/shutting down, it may give you a log of what caused it.

Random reboots are usually indicative of a temperature or power problem (usually PSU). Does the issue occur in safe mode?

Also what temperatures are you reaching?

Apr 2, 2019
POST is the power on self test, and usually where you encounter beep codes. It's just before you get into the BIOS where the PC checks general integrity before powering up fully. Takes split seconds usually. So if you can get into BIOS / OS, you're getting past POST. So no problem there.

Start > Event Viewer > Windows Logs > System

You'll have red error exclamations for critical items. If it's been restarting/shutting down, it may give you a log of what caused it.

Random reboots are usually indicative of a temperature or power problem (usually PSU). Does the issue occur in safe mode?

Also what temperatures are you reaching?
Sorry haven't been replying recently. My cpu temp is AVG 40-50. Actually now I can't get into POST even. In fact it can't even boot till POST 80% of the time. Erm I read the event log when I did manage to boot it up but I got no idea what it means. It just says error and lots of things I don't understand. I can't test if the issue occurs in safe mode because the pc hardly even boots. It just turns on and off repeated, like fans spin and stop and spin and stop.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
If it hardly boots and you were having restarts. Initial bets would be your PSU is faulty.
Would be worth seeing if you can return the PSU (warranty depending - most PSU manufacturers have 3+ years)
Potentially try another PSU in the system.

TRENDING THREADS