Question PC fails to boot when 2nd stick is inserted into any open slot.

Chiefomatic

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2013
Hi there

I've had this issue for a few weeks now and sent it to 2 different computer companies, both said different things were at fault.

After a power outage, when the power came back on my PC wouldn't boot at all. No fans nothing. Mobo did have power as the lights were on though

I tried many things, nothing worked (list below) I then sent my PC to a computer repair company. Long story short they said at first my PSU died then, after I got home I used my brand new never opened psu, but still couldn't boot. They wouldn't take back the PC as they said it worked fine.

I then tried a second PC repair company. Within the same day they told me both my RAM sticks failed. I then asked my friend to borrow his ram kit to test if they worked. To my surprise, using both sticks, the PC wouldn't boot again. Changing to just one stick at a time worked, even with my own RAM sticks.

So my issue at the moment is: Whenever I add a second stick to any open slot (Doesn't matter if it is 2,3 or 4) my PC doesn't boot. (Fans spin). Whenever there is only 1 stick (Any stick) in whichever slot, the PC boots fine.

What I've tried already:
  • I checked for any bend pins on my cpu and no bend pins at all. Replaced with new paste and idle's at 32c.
  • Tried different slots/swapped sticks and used them one by one.
  • Cleared CMOS by removing the battery (left outside case for 1 hour) and draining power.
  • Updated to the latest BIOS.
  • Made sure my slots were clean of dust. (Looked clean though)
  • Probably something else I forgot.
I honestly have no idea what it could be, other than my board being fried.

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600
Mobo: Asus b350 Prime Plus
RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Ballistix 2400 ddr4
Corsair RM 750

I tried all slots, but used A2 and B2 for about 5 years Tried One stick in all 4 slots, works fine. But the moment I put another stick in any of the other open slots it fails boot properly.

I used the stable BOIS version first (6042), but tried the latest beta version (Never do this but I was desperate) 6062 currently.
As for my exact RAM kit:
https://www.evetech.co.za/PC-Hardware/crucial-ballistix-sport-lt-16gb-red-2400mhz-ddr4-ram-1950.aspx

Any ideas? (Sorry for the long post)

edit: added asked for details to OG post.

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Can you identify the slots by the name listed on the motherboard PCB, i.e, slots A1, A2, B1, B2? Which slot is the system booting with and which slot is hindering the boot up process?

For the sake of relevance, what BIOS version are you currently on for your motherboard?

Got a link to the kits you're using?

Chiefomatic

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2013
Can you identify the slots by the name listed on the motherboard PCB, i.e, slots A1, A2, B1, B2? Which slot is the system booting with and which slot is hindering the boot up process?

For the sake of relevance, what BIOS version are you currently on for your motherboard?

Got a link to the kits you're using?
Thanks for the reply!

Well, I tried all slots, but used A2 and B2 for about 5 years Tried One stick in all 4 slots, works fine. But the moment I put another stick in any of the other open slots it fails boot properly.

I used the stable version first (6042, but tried the latest beta version (Never do this but I was desperate) 6062..
As for my exact RAM kit:

edit: small correction.

Last edited:

Chiefomatic

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2013
Just to give everyone an update on my issue. I just gave up and got a 1x16GB kit as I couldn't live with 8GB only. This worked for a few weeks, but as I was trying to switch on my PC again just now, it wouldn't start. Again.

So back to square one, I guess. Still open if anyone has other ideas.

Chiefomatic

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2013
Still trying to figure this out. What I've noticed is that whenever we have power cuts (we get them all the time), and my inverter kicks in, or if my inverter switches on and off for a few seconds to charge or keep charge, I get this issue more often. Keep in mind this entire ordeal happened after a power cut happened.

What I did last time was made sure all charge was out by holding down the power button while the PC was unplugged, then remove the CMOS battery and keep it off for an hour or so. This worked last time, but when I tried this morning it didn't.

Another random thing I thought about just now, is sometimes the PC would just phantom start-up without touching it for a long time (30mins at least).
Would greatly appreciate it if someone have an idea of what the issue might be however, I suspected from the beginning that the mobo is fried.