Question PC fails to boot

Jun 6, 2020
For the past year or so, whenever my computer turns off, whether it be a power surge, an occasional windows update or my own doing; it doesn't turn back on without some true effort.
Simply put, pressing the power button has no effect unless it is done momentarily after the shut down, and still it rarely works.
Nevertheless, so far I have managed to turn it back on via short circuiting the PSU by playing with the cable... and I must say the experience isn't pleasant..
One more thing, during boot time, my keyboard's and mouse's lights would flicker several times, so I guess there's an issue loading the drivers as well.

Either way, since it runs flawlessly without any interruptions, I kinda removed the PSU from the list of possible culprits. Still, I'm no expert in hardware so hopefully I'd get some helpful advice. (Can't really afford any upgrades at the moment).

Check in Power Options if pressing the power button shuts your PC down or puts it into Hibernate or Sleep mode? Using Hibernate or Sleep mode can cause problems.

system-settings.png

Jun 6, 2020
Sounds to me like psu, but check cables, reconnect each one an make sure they are all well seated.

Also what is the psu? = maker+model+wattage.

Not sure regarding the PSU model since my previous one was replaced by via warranty. However, it is a Corsair 650W of some sort..

I checked the cables on one occasion and couldn't find any visible or easily fixable issues. Either way, as I wrote in my other reply, whenever the PC is turned on, pressing either the restart button or the power button works as intended. The problem is solely turning the PC on.
Also, whenever the PC is turned on, there are no unexpected power surges or cut offs.
As I mentioned before, whenever the computer does turn on, it takes significantly more time than it did when it was brand new - or before the issues appeared. My OS is installed on a SSD, and yet it can take well over 3 minutes for the PC to turn on; during which the lights on my mouse and keyboard flicker multiple times as if their driver is having issues turning on on boot.

Could the issue be in the motherboard or perhaps the CMOS battery?

I'd also like to make a point that whenever the PC performs high performance tasks, the PSU still provides the necessary power, and I haven't noticed any issues with the stability.

Jun 6, 2020
Intel i5-4570
Geforce gtx 970 OC
Some 2x4gb G.Skill ddr3 RAM
A corsair 650W PSU (Blue sticker - can't find the warranty document)
Asus H87 PRO motherboard

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2020
Does your motherboard and graphics card have all the latest driver updates?
Does your motherboard have the latest BIOS update?

The graphics card has the latest update. The motherboard I'm not so sure... and wasn't really able to find a BIOS update since the ASUS website is a real mess.
Although I did notice that I sometimes receive a message saying that Intel Device Management couldn't start or something of the sort. Also, if I'm not mistaken, in one of my attempts to fix the long boot times, I removed the CMOS battery and put it back... and maybe the boot issues started there.
Could it be that a depleted CMOS battery causes this or specifically a fault in the motherboard itself?

The graphics card has the latest update. The motherboard I'm not so sure... and wasn't really able to find a BIOS update since the ASUS website is a real mess.
Although I did notice that I sometimes receive a message saying that Intel Device Management couldn't start or something of the sort. Also, if I'm not mistaken, in one of my attempts to fix the long boot times, I removed the CMOS battery and put it back... and maybe the boot issues started there.
Could it be that a depleted CMOS battery causes this or specifically a fault in the motherboard itself?
I am not sure if a dead CMOS battery [CR2032 3V] would cause this problem but they are very inexpensive to replace.
Have you ever looked in "Control Panel > Device Manager" for any yellow warning signs?

Jun 6, 2020
I am not sure if a dead CMOS battery [CR2032 3V] would cause this problem but they are very inexpensive to replace.
Have you ever looked in "Control Panel > Device Manager" for any yellow warning signs?

As I mentioned previously, for the past year or so, or perhaps ever since this issue came to light, I had yellow flag warning over a "Desktop-[Letters and Numbers]" device. The flag originates from a hardware component called "Intel Management Engine Interface". However, I remember that during my previous attempts to fix this, the troubleshooter couldn't sort it out.

Edit: In the description of this component, it specifies the following:
"This device cannot start. (Code 10)

STATUS_DEVICE_POWER_FAILURE"

Jun 6, 2020
Can try this to see if it gives latest drivers,
Intel® Driver & Support Assistant
or Asus site,
H87-PRO Driver & Tools | Moederbord | ASUS Nederland
is really Dutch, but "Drivers and Tools" should you understand. "selecteer Besturingssysteem" is what version of windows.

I updating the Intel Management Interface driver via the Asus site. Apparently, the version my PC runs is newer than the one listed on the website. However, it seems that uninstalling the driver or installing the older version as mentioned, doesn't fix the problem.
I tried your second suggestion and no updates were suggested. I was prompted that there are no Intel devices worth updating or something of the sort.

Jun 6, 2020

I ran DISM and the file checker and no issues were found. I'm also acquainted with the last link and wasn't able to fix the issue following their instructions. Also can't seem to find an older version of the driver.