Question PC fails to post sometimes and gets stuck with orange DRAM light on

Oct 30, 2020
Been dealing with this problem for a few months now. Normally the computer starts fine but here and there when restarting or booting up it gets stuck. On the motherboard, the orange DRAM led light is showing and gets stuck there. .. I feel like I've tried everything short of replacing the cpu or ram. Normally when this happens I just shut it off, turn off the PSU and try again, and normally after 2-3 tries it works again. Any thoughts?? Ram was recycled from a previous build where it worked fine.
Specs:
https://pcpartpicker.com/user/mwohio/saved/QdDfP6

Reactions: wewontech.com
Oct 30, 2020
What speed does the ram run at? Is it possible it isn't (fully) supported by the motherboard
3200 speed. I dialed it back to 3000 but the same thing happens.... GSkill Trident Z is one of the most popular types of ram so I'm almost certain that it's compatible.

Things I've considered:
Possibly a slightly bent cpu pin - inspected no visual damage
cpu cooler too tight - loosened it to hand tight... Same problem
ram possibly scratched/ damaged when removing from old pc - looks fine to the naked eye when I looked but who knows.

Ran multiple ram troubleshooters which all seem to indicate its working fine.

Oct 30, 2020
Have you tried the ram in different slots (first and third and second and fourth) and trying each stick individually to see if there's any being troublesome
Yes normally if it gets stuck and I remove one it will boot. I've tested if maybe just one of the modules are bad or if the slot matters. The problem still occurs if I have two inserted. Going off memory I'm not sure if it has ever happened when I had just 8gb.

Apr 11, 2021
Hi @Roundcube i was also facing the same issue my specs
motherboard-asus b350f gaming
cpu-ryzen 5 1600
ram -g skill 16 gb 2 sticks
Graphic -1060 6gb

I also tried all those things you tried
The pc wont boot with 2 ram sticks
But when tried with one it would work fine
My ram stick is also working fine i tried it in my friends pc
I am facing this issue for long time now suddenly it appears
Dont know what is causing this
The solution that worked for me is that changing the slots and trying different combinations for me it worked in 1 and 4 slot