[SOLVED] PC Fan seems to be acting up

AntozJr

Prominent
Mar 28, 2020
Recently I would boot up my pc and one of my case fans begins making an awful sounding rattling noise. (best way I can put it). It sounds to me like something may have come loose in it. Another possibility being a dry bearing or something I read. The sound stops after a couple of minutes and seems to fix itself but I want to know if it's okay to continue booting up the pc with the fan acting like this. I believe they're QL Corsair rgb fans, 120mm

Solution
I posted this recently in a thread with a similar problem.
Rather than my re-typing, I refer you to a post I made here

https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...from-front-of-computer.3575966/#post-21590145

from Feb 23/20. In that thread I suspected that OP had mistaken the source of the odd noise and was experiencing pretty much what your problem is. The telling symptom is a noise that starts immediately when a cold system is turned on, lasts for a short time, and never comes back until the system is off long enough to cool down completely. If it really is wearing bearings, the problem will keep getting worse slowly, so you need to plan for fan replacement. Not usually an immediate problem...

Zdos123

Honorable
Oct 26, 2016
How many fans do you have in your case, double check temperatures whilst running and check if it's overheating, if it is replace the fan, and try to check it's not your cpu or gpu fan as then you most likely will damage something with prolonged usage, if thermals are fine, then you can continue as normal.

AntozJr

Prominent
Mar 28, 2020
How many fans do you have in your case, double check temperatures whilst running and check if it's overheating, if it is replace the fan, and try to check it's not your cpu or gpu fan as then you most likely will damage something with prolonged usage, if thermals are fine, then you can continue as normal.
I have three case fans, all in the front panel, and actually only one fan appears in dragon center, not sure which one. But it for sure is the case fan, I notice that it powers off almost immediately compared to the other fans

if still not sure which fan is the culprit;
you can gently push against the core of the fan while running to stop their spinning. try stopping each separately as the system boots to see which it was/is.

it is probably a malfunctioning bearing. when at higher RPMs the balance can even out and may be why the noise goes away.
were these QL RGB fans purchased separately or came with other Corsair hardware?

what GPU and what CPU cooler are you using?

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
I posted this recently in a thread with a similar problem.
Rather than my re-typing, I refer you to a post I made here

https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...from-front-of-computer.3575966/#post-21590145

from Feb 23/20. In that thread I suspected that OP had mistaken the source of the odd noise and was experiencing pretty much what your problem is. The telling symptom is a noise that starts immediately when a cold system is turned on, lasts for a short time, and never comes back until the system is off long enough to cool down completely. If it really is wearing bearings, the problem will keep getting worse slowly, so you need to plan for fan replacement. Not usually an immediate problem.

OP, since this noise is relatively new for you, replacing the fan is not an immediate issue, but will become becessary with a year at most. So start looking for the replacement now.

Solution