Question PC fans go crazy and computer shuts down. When turned back on, screen is black and I can’t access anything ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 13, 2023
I was in the middle of playing a video game with friends when the fan speed increased by a lot, and the screen turned black. I then (foolishly, might I add) panicked and turned the computer off. This has happened before, but the PC usually turns on and works like normal afterwards. This time, when I turned the computer back on, the screen was completely dark, with multi colored dots approximately at the top left of the screen. This does not seem to be a problem with the monitor (it functions perfectly fine). What are some possible causes, and how should I check for each of these problems?

It’s a Cyberpower GXiVR8080A7 prebuilt PC.

Hardware-
PSU- Apevia ATNG 800 watt 80+ gold power supply
Mother Board- ASUS Prime z390-PATX
Graphics card- Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080
Processor- Intel core I7-9700k
SSD- Intel 660p M.2 2280
Ram- Crucial Ballistix 3000 MHz DDR$ DRAM 16 GB

Last edited:

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
What are some possible causes, and how should I check for each of these problems?

Cause - hardware failure.
Checking - depends.

It depends on how well you know PC hardware and if you're confident to replace single parts. If not, haul your PC to PC repair shop and pay for diagnostics + fix.

But if you do know thing or two, let's start out easy:
Full system specs, especially PSU make and model (or part number) is? Also, how old the PSU is, and was the PSU bought new or used/refurbished?

Jul 13, 2023
Cause - hardware failure.
Checking - depends.

It depends on how well you know PC hardware and if you're confident to replace single parts. If not, haul your PC to PC repair shop and pay for diagnostics + fix.

But if you do know thing or two, let's start out easy:
Full system specs, especially PSU make and model (or part number) is? Also, how old the PSU is, and was the PSU bought new or used/refurbished?
Sorry for not getting that information sooner! I did not have it on hand. Here is all the hardware information.

Mother Board- ASUS Prime z390-PATX
Graphics card- Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080
Processor- Intel core I7-9700k
SSD- Intel 660p M.2 2280
Ram- Crucial Ballistix 3000 MHz DDR$ DRAM 16 GB

regarding the PSU, it should have been new, since it was part of a prebuilt PC. I’ve had this computer for 4 years, so therefor the PSU should also be 4 years old. If there is anything else you need me to tell you let me know.

Last edited:

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Holy hell....

..sigh...

So, you went with high-end components but why on earth did you cheap out on PSU? :rolleyes: Do you not realize that the PSU is the most important component inside the PC? Far more important than your Core i7 or even your RTX 2080, since PSU powers everything?

In any event, you have only 1 thing remaining to do, before it's curtains;
* take out your GPU from the PC (fully out) and hook your monitor to MoBo. Look if you can get an image.

If you do, great, your GPU is toast and you'd also be looking towards new PSU.
If not, you can consider everything that was connected to that doorstop (which some may call PSU), to be dead. This means your whole PC.

And this above, is prime example why never cheap out on PSU. :no:
Also, i don't want to hear that "i didn't have enough money to buy proper PSU", since if you have money to buy RTX 2080, you'll also have money to buy proper PSU. E.g Seasonic PRIME or Corsair AXi.

Jul 13, 2023
Holy hell....

..sigh...

So, you went with high-end components but why on earth did you cheap out on PSU? :rolleyes: Do you not realize that the PSU is the most important component inside the PC? Far more important than your Core i7 or even your RTX 2080, since PSU powers everything?

* take out your GPU from the PC (fully out) and hook your monitor to MoBo. Look if you can get an image.

If not, you can consider everything that was connected to that doorstop (which some may call PSU), to be dead. This means your whole PC.

Also, i don't want to hear that "i didn't have enough money to buy proper PSU", since if you have money to buy RTX 2080, you'll also have money to buy proper PSU. E.g Seasonic PRIME or Corsair AXi.
Thank you for the advice. I will make sure to follow this advice, test to see how the other components are working, and replace the PSU.

Jul 13, 2023
Holy hell....

..sigh...

Okay, so I unistalled The GPU and plugged the monitor into the MotherBoard, and the PC actually worked, so that is good. Just to see what would happen, I reinstalled the GPU, and surprisingly, it was not completely fried (played some games for a few seconds to test), but my FPS was low, and the memory usage was really high. I am assuming it’s a result of what the PSU did to the graphics card, but if you think it could be something else than do let me know! Either way, I will take your advice and get a new PSU. Thank you so much for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.