[SOLVED] PC fans help pls

May 5, 2020
I recently installed my 5 uphere PC fans in my PC and each fan uses a 6 pin connector and I have them connected into a fan hub but they are running at full speed and I'm not sure how to change it bc they are 6pin and my motherboard only has 4 pin connections.

Solution
Thanks for the link to the Amazon page. From that I found a video and I'm a little confused. You say your fans are 6-pin. The link and the video for that model says the fans each have TWO cables from them - one 4-pin standard fan connector, and a 3-pin standard ARGB lighting connector. So I am not sure I am looking at the correct model, and the correct Controller box. But I will work from that, anyway, for now.

The control box has several sets of ports for the fans around the edges. At one end it has three ports for connections using cables supplied with the box. One is the power input from a SATA output of the PSU. One has TWO small connectors on its end, and one of these goes to a 4-pin mobo fan header. The Hub gets all its fan motor...

LRoger

Reputable
Apr 25, 2019
oh i get it, you have an external fan controller that utilizes 6 pin rather than the 4 on the mobo. Leads me to question, since there is no digital connection to the PC for temp control etc, the controller you have was made for them to run at max speed only, do you have the model of your controller?

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
There are several models from upHere. For example, one 5-pack of 120mm RGB fans I saw comes with its own Hub for connections, and a handheld Remote Control for both RGB lights and fan speeds. In such a system, often there is NO connection to the mobo and no way for the mobo to do any control or show you any fan speed. ALL control must be done using the Remote box. So, did you get one of those in your fan set?

If that does not help, can you tell us the model number or name of the sset of fans you have? Or perhaps a link to where you bought them?

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Thanks for the link to the Amazon page. From that I found a video and I'm a little confused. You say your fans are 6-pin. The link and the video for that model says the fans each have TWO cables from them - one 4-pin standard fan connector, and a 3-pin standard ARGB lighting connector. So I am not sure I am looking at the correct model, and the correct Controller box. But I will work from that, anyway, for now.

The control box has several sets of ports for the fans around the edges. At one end it has three ports for connections using cables supplied with the box. One is the power input from a SATA output of the PSU. One has TWO small connectors on its end, and one of these goes to a 4-pin mobo fan header. The Hub gets all its fan motor speed control from that mobo header. The other connector on this cable goes to a mobo 3-pin ARGB header, but you don't have one, I believe. But maybe I am WRONG about that - you have not told us what mobo maker and model number you have. Assuming you don't have such a header, you simply do not connect that line from the Hub to anything.

Lastly, there is a small pushbutton on the end of a cable with a two-hole connector on its end, and that plugs into the port on the end labelled "RESET", beside the power input. This is the way you can manually change your light display pattern. That pushbutton needs to be mounted someplace convenient so you can reach it from outside. When it is running, pushing that button will change to the next pre-programmed light pattern on all the fans.

IF you had a 3-pin ARGB header on your mobo and had connected to it with the other cable, then the pushbutton does one different thing. In that case, if you hold the pushbutton in for at least 3 seconds, it turns over control of the lights to the mobo header. Then you use the utility that comes with the mobo to control its ARGB lighting. Another small push of that button would put you back into manual pushbutton light selection.

Solution

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
So the Hub you got has 6-pin ports on it. I sure hope the fans you got have matching connectors on their cable ends!!

Assuming that is OK, then it is very likely that the other connections to the Hub (and the cables included with it) are the way I decribed above, so you should be able to make the connections and get it to work.