PC Fans not working

Andrei0408

Honorable
Jun 17, 2017
Hi, I've recently moved my PC from one room to another and I started experiencing a noticeable drop in FPS in-game. I've used SpeedFan to check if everything is alright and it seems that out of the 5 fans, only the first is working at about 2466 RPM, fans 2, 3, 4 and 5 being at 0 RPM. Any help is much appreciated!

Lutfij

Titan
When you say they're at 0 RPM, are they physically plugged to the baord and the blades aren't turning?

When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. list them like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:

May also want to mention how all your fans are connected in your system.

Andrei0408

Honorable
Jun 17, 2017
Sorry, here are my specs:
CPU: AMD Athlon X4 840
Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. F2A58M-DS2 (P0)
Ram: 10.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 675MHz (9-9-9-24)
SSD/HDD: 931GB TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 ATA Device (SATA )
GPU: 2070W (1600x900@60Hz)
2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630 (Gigabyte)
PSU: I am not sure, but I can open the case and check if necessary

The fans are all connected as far as I know, they started failing after I moved my PC to another location

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Lutfij's first question is important. You need to open the case with the system running and observe the fans in question.
1. Are they all plugged in?
2. Are they all turning or not?
3. IF they all turn, do this simple test. With case open so you can see them, shut the system down, then re-boot and watch all those fans closely right away. The "normal" sequence is that all fans start up right away at full speed. After a few seconds when the system gets around to checking temperatures, etc, most fans will slow down to their working speed. So, do all those fans start fast and then slow down? If yes, then all the fans are working properly AND the mobo automatic control system is, too.
4. If all that is OK, then there MAY be something wrong with she connections to the fans to their mobo headers. (Check next paragraph about a Splitter or Hub.) It MIGHT just be loose connections, so gently unplug each fan, then plug it back in again.

I've written this with a questionable assumption. It assumes that all the fans we're talking about are plugged into mobo fan headers individually, and that may NOT be the case. First of all, some fan types are connected instead directly to power outputs from the PSU, or to a built-in case "fan controller". In both of those situations there is NO speed signal sent to the mobo, so no mobo or third-party software (like Speedfan) can tell you their speeds. Another very common possibility is that several fans are all connected to one mobo fan header by using a Splitter or a Hub. In such a case, ONLY ONE of the fans on the Hub (or Splitter) will have its speed reported to the mobo header (because that's all the header can deal with), and all the other fans on that device will have their speed signals ignored completely. This is NORMAL for such an arrangement, and there is little you can do about that; nor do you need to. What you describe - the speed of only one fan is shown - sounds like this arrangement.

HOWEVER, if you do NOT have a Splitter or Hub involved, the symptoms you describe suggest there really is a failure of at least some of the cooling systems. This could be in two areas. What I find suspicious is that this all happened right after you moved the system, so you MAY have loosened a connection or two. One class of this is the case fans themselves. If the connections of some or all of them were loosened they could fail to work. So CAREFULLY examine the place where each is plugged in. Un-plug, then re-connect. Do this a few times for each, then on to the next fan. This may clean any oxide build-up on the contacts and re-establish good connections. IF you have a Splitter or Hub, do the same for its connections to the mobo header and its connection to a PSU output, if any.

The other possibility is on your video card IF you have one. The card may have been loosened in its socket. So, with the machine OFF, remove the card from its slot and re-insert carefully to ensure good contacts. Fasten it down, of course. While it is out in your hands, look at its fan system carefully. If the fan is plugged into a socket on the video card, unplug and re-connect that in case the video card's cooling fan is the cause of your trouble. An overheating video card certainly can cause reduced frame rate even if the case ventilation system is good.