[SOLVED] PC fans spin for a second then power off - broken motherboard or unsupported CPU?

jmodels

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2012
Hi guys,

I am putting together a new system. Unfortunately I get the issue of the fans spinning for a second then powering off. No POST or bleeps. I can remove the memory and still no bleeps.

My board is a Gigabyte H310M S2H Intel Micro ATX Socket LGA 1151 Motherboard

I've tried two CPUs now:
I tried a i5-7600K which gives the above issue.
I've also tried a i5 6600k which gives a similar issue except the PC automatically powers on again and then the fans spin down. This continues a few times then the fans stay on but no post or other output.

I've swapped out everything else but the motherboard and have confirmed it is not a shorting or PSU issue, nor an issue with another component.

I know that generally the symptoms are a sign of a kaput motherboard if all the other parts have been checked. Well I have swapped out everything but the motherboard so it is either a broken mobo OR the CPUs I have tried are not compatible, at least not with the current BIOS version which I do not know.

Can anyone advise if these CPUs should just work and that my motherboard is fault? I've got a suspicion that the board may require a BIOS update before the CPUs will work but have not been able to find conformation.

Thanks

Solution
Hi guys,

I am putting together a new system. Unfortunately I get the issue of the fans spinning for a second then powering off. No POST or bleeps. I can remove the memory and still no bleeps.

I've tried two CPUs now:
I've also tried a i5 6600k which gives a similar issue except the PC automatically powers on again and then the fans spin down. This continues a few times then the fans stay on but no post or other output.

I've swapped out everything else but the motherboard and have confirmed it is not a shorting or PSU issue, nor an issue with another...
Hi guys,

I've tried two CPUs now:

I've swapped out everything else but the motherboard and have confirmed it is not a shorting or PSU issue, nor an issue with another component.

I know that generally the symptoms are a sign of a kaput motherboard if all the other parts have been checked. Well I have swapped out everything but the motherboard so it is either a broken mobo OR the CPUs I have tried are not compatible, at least not with the current BIOS version which I do not know.

Can anyone advise if these CPUs should just work and that my motherboard is fault? I've got a suspicion that the board may require a BIOS update before the CPUs will work but have not been able to find conformation.

Thanks
unfortunately, that board only support 8-9th gen intel cpus. those 2 wont be able to be used on that motherboard natively.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS