[SOLVED] PC Fans turn on for a few seconds and then turn off.

Garen D

Reputable
Jul 15, 2020
My older PC Build won't stay on for long periods of time. The fans ( CPU and PSU) will turn on for a few seconds and then turn off, leaving my computer unable to start. I've tried swapping RAM slots as well as everything on this list: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...deo-output-troubleshooting-checklist.1285536/. Perhaps I've missed something but I recall checking at least 20 of the checklist points. It would be appreciated if anyone greatly knowledgeable with computer systems could Please help.

System Specs:
PartModelMakeAge
PSUATX-PR800WApexia(1 year~? Unsure, Given as a gift.)
CPUAthlon X4 860KAMD3~ years.
GPURadeon R7 260X WindforceGigabyte4~ years.

Update: The PSU was tested and was confirmed to still function. (Paper Clip tested.) The motherboard was swapped with another model that supports the same socket and the problem is the same. The CPUs were swapped (same model) with each motherboard, yielding the same problem.

Last edited:
Solution
What would be a good way to test the PSU? And how would the motherboards be at fault, I've tested two different ones and both seem to get the same result?

If you swapped motherboards then the power supply is very likely, need to use a known good one in the system.

Garen D

Reputable
Jul 15, 2020
(More Updated)

Hello all, I have a somewhat old PC build comprised of used & gifted parts that doesn't seem to want to work anymore. It was working fine up until a few days ago before it refused to turn on at all. The PSU is in working order as it is new and tested (using a paper clip), the motherboards (different models same socket support) have been swapped along with the CPUs (same model) but the results still stay the same; the fans(GPU, CPU, and PSU) stay on for a moment before turning off without posting. I have also tried all, if not 20~ of the points on this checklist https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...deo-output-troubleshooting-checklist.1285536/). It's honestly been quite a pain in the rear for me, I'm hoping someone more tech savvy is able to help. Thank you!

Here are my part specs along with the make, model and relative ages.

PartModelManufacturer Age
GPUGV-R726XWF2-2GD (rev. 2.0)
GIGABYTE1-2 Years.
CPUAMD Athlon™ 860K
AMD3 Years.
PSUATX-PR800E (800W)Apevia1-2 Years.
MotherboardMSI A88xm GamingMSI3-4 Years.

Last edited:

Garen D

Reputable
Jul 15, 2020
Paper clip test is not really a good test past making sure the PSU has power, it won't tell you if it's able to work properly to power you system.

Two most likely things is the power supply then the motherboard. That power supply is a low quality one.
What would be a good way to test the PSU? And how would the motherboards be at fault, I've tested two different ones and both seem to get the same result?