PC For 1080p Gaming for next 3-4 years

TIMEB0MB

Reputable
Jan 19, 2015
I am about to build a PC , with this config.
I5 4690k
Z97 Express chipset motherboard
GTX 970
16 GB ram
750 watt PSU
I NEED YOUR OPINION ABOUT THIS BUILD plz suggest any changes if needed thanks

Solution
For gaming at the moment, most systems are limited in most games by the GPU. There are a few CPU limiting games. An i5 has the power to drive at least two 980s, and overclocked i5 will give you a bit more CPU for those games that use it very heavily.

You can buy what you like, but you don't NEED more than an i5 4460 and 8GB of DDR3-1600 RAM combined with anything up to a GTX980 (or two for higher resolution/multi-monitor gaming) Save your pennies for the future. You can start with an SLI-capable motherboard with four RAM slots, so that later you can overclock, add a second GPU (no more than two), double your RAM, and overclock if you ever want to. Also, buy a PSU that will handle the 'final' configuration.

Foresight with PSU and...

Gallarian

Distinguished
With the limited information provided, Id say you'll be absolutely fine for the next 3 years.

However, what are the exact details of your PSU? (Make and model)

A bad PSU can have much shorter life span the rest of your PC.

The 16Gb is not needed yet, 8Gb is plenty. Memory is a commodity, get whatever brand does the business. If you plan to overclock, get faster memory. (DDR3-2133 ish)

The devil is in the details, especially the specific brands chosen. Get a Tier 1 or 2 PSU from this list. http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-1804779/power-supply-unit-tier-list.html
you do not need more than about 550W unless you plan to later SLI a second GPU. If you do, make sure you get a good motherboard that can handle it. The ASRock Fatal1ty Z97 Killer is the cheapest I would consider. If you overclock, you will need a good aftermarket air CPU Cooler.

Do you have a specific configuration yet?

Dunno ... generally, you won't use up the 8GB, but there are some games like Planetary Annihilation (and I believe Battlefield 4) which have been seen to eat 12GB. Don't know if games will trend up on memory use in the short term or if these are anomolies.

-Lone-

Admirable

That's just a waste of $100 if you are going to game most of the time and do very little to non editing of photos or videos.

Indeed - in general, 8GB is enough for pretty-much all games. I was just pointing out that there are a limited number of games that use more - e.g. I have seen people stating Planetary Annihilation used 12-16GB on its own (this may or may not be an optimisation issue).

r3v3ng3

Honorable
Aug 21, 2012
Could you give us a budget? Also, if you can afford an i7, go for it, a better cpu is just that, a better cpu, as long as you don't detract from other necessary components. Get 16gb of ram, 8gb is not enough for the future, there are far too many developers making simple console ports which eat up memory. As for the PSU, if you aren't going to run sli in the future, which tbh I wouldn't, you can settle for a 550watt, have a look at the seasonic g-550, its a semi-modular, and high quality psu.

Gallarian

Distinguished
You will see negligible benefit by upgrading from an i5 to an i7, or from 8GB RAM to 16GB RAM for 1080p gaming right now. Not worth it at all.

Save the £200 you don't spend on those wasted upgrades and put it towards a graphics card update a couple of years down the line.

For gaming at the moment, most systems are limited in most games by the GPU. There are a few CPU limiting games. An i5 has the power to drive at least two 980s, and overclocked i5 will give you a bit more CPU for those games that use it very heavily.

You can buy what you like, but you don't NEED more than an i5 4460 and 8GB of DDR3-1600 RAM combined with anything up to a GTX980 (or two for higher resolution/multi-monitor gaming) Save your pennies for the future. You can start with an SLI-capable motherboard with four RAM slots, so that later you can overclock, add a second GPU (no more than two), double your RAM, and overclock if you ever want to. Also, buy a PSU that will handle the 'final' configuration.

Foresight with PSU and motherboard is all the future you need to consider at the moment, if that. When you want to upgrade other, better, solutions may be available which change the calculation.

Solution

TIMEB0MB

Reputable
Jan 19, 2015
Thanks guys for your help and about my budget its INR 90k (As I am from India). I'll keep all of your suggestions in mind while choosing the Final build thanks again :D