PC for Gaming, Blu-Ray and Editing

zeppelin08

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2011
Hey guys. I plan to use my new computer for playing games (Bad Company, Modern Warfare, etc), watching Blu-Rays, and editing video with Sony Vegas. There also will be some rendering done of Google Sketch-Up models. I also frequently listen to music (somewhat of an audiophile, don't download music). So pretty much a little bit of everything. Here was my plan:

i7-2600k
sapphire 2gb 6950
2tb caviar black
gigabyte ga-z68xp-ud3p
750w corsair
kingston hyperx - 8, 12, or 16gb?
antec 900 case

is this sufficient, or overkill? also, i'll be using my polk speakers, but as far as a monitor i'm really stuck. i kind of want to use it for my tv as well (att uverse), but i don't want a huge monitor to sit in front of so i was thinking 23". i want the monitor to perform well for gaming, so are there good ips monitors for gaming (quick response time, etc)? thanks for any help!

tacobravo

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
I think the i7 is overkill especially for gaming. Not too much difference in gaming performance from the i7-2600k vs the i5-2500k. Save some green and go with the i5. Everything looks good except you don't have a blu ray drive. They have some at newegg for good prices. You could go for an aftermarket cooler as well maybe a Cooler Master Hyper 212+. Also I heard RAM prices are gonna get even lower toward the end of the year so I would just get 8 GB of it now and then wait till the price of 16 are pretty cheap to get some.

zeppelin08

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2011

yeah, i forgot to list the blu-ray drive haha. how important would the aftermarket cooler be? also, i was thinking the asus vh238h for a monitor. would there be something different you would recommend?