[SOLVED] PC for non-gaming - new or used? Suggestions, please...

ads1230

Prominent
Oct 26, 2021
I'm looking for suggestions on buying a desktop PC mostly for Photoshop work - it won't be used for gaming. Budget: hoping to keep it under $1000 USD.

I'd prefer a Dell but will consider others. I would consider a used unit off eBay, but my impression is that a used PC with a graphics card is going to be hard to find due to the current shortage of GPUs.

Question 1: Given the current situation with GPUs, should I drop the idea of buying used?

Question 2: If yes to Q1, how do I choose a new system without getting majorly confused with the different paths to achieve the desired specs?

Requirements:
CPU: i5-11600 or i7-10700
GPU: Nvidia GTX 740, VRAM 2GB (6GB preferred)
RAM: 16GB (32 or 64 might be worth the extra cost)

Not quite requirements, but strong preferences:
-- Windows 10/11 Pro
-- Optical drive - horizontal
-- SSD for OS + 1TB HDD

Solution
I believe I would just build your own rig get a ryzen 8 core with apu in it. Should easily beable to keep it under 1k if you build it yourself. 5700g could even get 32 gigs of ram.

First off start with the case, if you want a standard size case go with atx this will coincide with the motherboard. Where as smaller will say micro atx or itx. Just use parts picker and it will make sure all components are compatible. Intel motherboards alot more confusing, with ryzen any b550 and should be plug in play with the 5700g.

jsh169

Distinguished
May 12, 2014
I believe I would just build your own rig get a ryzen 8 core with apu in it. Should easily beable to keep it under 1k if you build it yourself. 5700g could even get 32 gigs of ram.

jsh169

Distinguished
May 12, 2014

First off start with the case, if you want a standard size case go with atx this will coincide with the motherboard. Where as smaller will say micro atx or itx. Just use parts picker and it will make sure all components are compatible. Intel motherboards alot more confusing, with ryzen any b550 and should be plug in play with the 5700g.

Solution