PC fps not as high as expected?

Shlby

Reputable
Apr 12, 2015
Hi guys,

This is my first post on this forum. I have recently upgraded my PC to the components below:
Case : NZXT phantom (full tower) + 6 fans (3 w LEDs)
PSU: seasonic 520W (had it from previous build. 3Y old)
GPU: GTX 970 G1 gaming.
CPU: 4790K i7
CPU cooler: CM V6 GT
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97X Gaming GT.
RAM: 2X2GB @ 1600 and 1X4 GB @ 1600 MT/s, all kingston (reason for this weird setup i was shooting for 8 GB in my previous build and now shooting for 4X4GB, will swap out the 2's)
Storage: no SSDs yet. got WD black 1 TB + WD green 2 TB.

Issue: my previous build had AMD Phenom II 1055 X6 CPU and FXA-D3 mobo + same storage, RAM and PSU. After my recent upgrade to the above components, the performance has actually dropped... example: on Far Cry 4 for instance i am getting on NVIDIA graphics preset as low as 40-50 fps. on disabling MSAA i am getting up to 70, which does not match GTX 970 benchmarks for FC4. I have a strong feeling it might be the PSU. Temperatures seem OK. GTX max temperature @ 58-59C and CPU about the same (if not 5-6 degrees higher).

I ran an online calculation thing for PSU requirements and got around 460W for my build.

Any help would be much appreciated :)

Thank you in advance

Shlby

Reputable
Apr 12, 2015
Gamer 2886, Thank you for the quick response.
I just needed assurance that nothing is wrong with the configuration or build :)
I went to BIOS and enabled the hyperthreading... seemed to help with FPS but the sound is now lagging. Done more research and seems like there are some issues with Far Cry 4 :\

Shlby

Reputable
Apr 12, 2015

I gathered as much. Next stop PSU and RAM upgrade :)