Question PC frame drop/micro stutter question

Jul 26, 2020
Hello!

I've been having this problem for a while now but just decided to stick with it because I could never find a fix.

My games for the most part run fine, but every 2-5 mins I'll have an FPS drop/Stutter, usually more consistent when I first load the game up, for example an explosion will cause the game to lag but then the second time an explosion comes round its completely fine...

Now this wouldn't bother me that much considering it only happens the one time, but my PC also has a consistent every now and then stutter of maybe half a second and its really annoying.

I've tried, reinstalling windows, malware removers, reinstalling drivers from manufacturers websites, reseating everything in my PC.

The only things I've replaced really are the GPU and CPU, I have a spare 970 laying around but I'm not really confident in testing that because my other PC has this same exact issue, its like a curse and have no idea how to fix it.

Does anyone know what could be causing this mysterious lag?

I may also add that for a while my computer was not on XMP mode causing the CPU temps to be on a constant 85c+ but that's fixed now, I don't think this is the cause of the stutter as again the other computer has this exact same issue where it randomly fps drops every 2-5mins.

PC SPECS
i7 7700K
ASUS GTX 1080
32GB RAM 3200mhz CORSAIR
ASUS VIII MOTHERBOARD
850W CORSAIR PSU
250GB SSD 56% Health according to CrystalDiskInfo

All help appreciated!
Thanks,
Mark

Jul 26, 2020
Hi, :)

Please provide more details:
  1. What are the temperature readings of your components when gaming?.
  2. Are you using any mechanical drives?.
  3. At what speed you're running your processor?
  4. Did you try updating your BIOS version?.

Hi :)

1. CPU is around 60-80c very rarely hitting above high 70's
GPU is around 60c never above.
everything else is 40c or below.

2. I'm only using the 250gb samsung ssd

3. default i7 7700K 4.2ghz

4. BIOS is fully up to date.

ben001

Distinguished

1. CPU is around 60-80c very rarely hitting above high 70's
GPU is around 60c never above.
everything else is 40c or below.

2. I'm only using the 250gb samsung ssd

3. default i7 7700K 4.2ghz

4. BIOS is fully up to date.
Noted. :)
I would ask you to uninstall your GPU driver with DDU and freshly install the updated version if you haven't.

What monitor and refresh rate you are using?.

Jul 26, 2020
Hi,
I hope we can get near to your problem.

Are you using the same monitor which were used on your previous system?. Do you change any settings inside the Nvidia control panel after each update?.

Same monitor yes, even tried switching monitor.

same settings only thing I've changed from time to time is the power management settings, but I've tried both and still have the same issue.

Should also add right now.

I done memtest on all my ram sticks together, had 6 errors.
I tested 2 by themselves with 3 errors.

I've taken those 2 out and put in the other 2.
no errors so far, almost done with the test also.

I think after this test ill try these what look like "good sticks" in the slots the other ram were in, and if I get errors, then im guessing the MOBO is screwed?

eekpeek

Commendable
May 20, 2020
Things are taken into account. Okay, I would also ask you to download & install prime 95 and run it like a few hours. There will be an outcome.

Keep us updated. :)
having the same problem :( looks like op forgot about the thread. i have pretty outdated specs but nothing too crazy. i5 3470 rx 580 and 8gb ddr3 1600mhz. same stutters and i've found nothing that can fix it