Question PC freaks out, i restart it, refuses to go past "DRAM" when booting.

Apr 17, 2022
So far this has happened on 2 days, on 2 games. First is on GTA5 yesterday and on some breakout game on steam today.

Basically what happens is that the game starts lagging, major FPS drops and wont go to my normal FPS. Task manager wont load up. This time windows actually did a soft restart (?). Then i restart my PC, and it wont go past DRAM.

Theres 4 Lights on my Mobo, CPU, DRAM, VGA(?), BOOT.

The weird thing is, is if i wait 10 mins or so, it boots up perfectly fine. Never had this issue before.

Specs
Intel i7-11700K
RTX 3070 *factory overclocked, with 95Mhz boost via GeForce Experience
Ballistix 8gb x2
Z590 PRO WIFI
MSI MPG A750GF - 750W

This is a Pre-Built from MSI. Got it not even a year ago.
US Desktop Aegis RS

Edit: Put in PSU in Spec List.

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition (original, new, refurbished, used)?

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for error codes, warnings, and even informational events that correspond with any of the experienced problems.

Clicking any given entry will provide additional details (Error Codes) that may or may not prove helpful.

= = = =

In the meantime, power down, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Verify by sight and feel that all connectors, cards, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly place.

Reactions: punkncat

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Aegis RS 11th | Gaming PC | 11th Gen Intel Desktops (msi.com)

Is that your system?

The above system has a couple of issues right off. The case is absolutely stifling air flow for the front fans AND it's trying to use a small AIO cooler on a very high power and hot CPU (plus an OC GPU).

In the short term, take off the covers and pay close attention the vents on the front of the case, the fan blades, and the AIO cooler. Get all the dust out.

I personally take my PC's out about every quarter, set them on the driveway, and blow them out with a cheap leafblower on low setting. About once a year or so I do a partial to full teardown of specific components such that I can do a physical wipe down with a microfiber, or even wet wipe (etc.) if it warrants.

Reactions: Ralston18
Apr 17, 2022
PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition (original, new, refurbished, used)?

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for error codes, warnings, and even informational events that correspond with any of the experienced problems.

Clicking any given entry will provide additional details (Error Codes) that may or may not prove helpful.

= = = =

In the meantime, power down, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris.

Verify by sight and feel that all connectors, cards, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly place.
MSI MPG A750GF - 750W. Havent been replaced as it came with the PC (new). Seems like its doing well.

Looked in event viewer and reliability history and saw nothing. Looked through Hardware Faults tab, also saw nothing.

Cleaned out the dust covers on top. Only a tiny bit of dust was in the front fans, and i didnt want to take that cover part off. all things on there are connected, nothing seems damaged.

Apr 17, 2022
If no errors are being captured then the problem is more likely hardware in some manner.

@punkncat 's post and included link is more likely at the heart of the problem(s).
He didnt do anything, but i think i found the cause of the PC Freakout. My CPU actually drops down to 0.5Ghz. Temps are fine and they have been higher, and been stable. ITs also not because of thermal throttling, as it never goes back up, and my PC just shuts off. Is this a thing i can fix or should i send it back to MSI under warranty?

Ralston18

Titan
Before returning the motherboard take a closer look at system performance via:

Task Manager

Resources Monitor

Process Explorer (Microsoft, free, and you will probably need to download the tool).

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer

Use all of the tools but only one at a time. Leave the tool window open so you can observe system performance.

First after initial boot, then while doing light browsing and work. Lastly while gaming.

Watch what resources are being used, to what extent (%), and what is using any given resource.

Especially when the system starts to lag, etc..

You may discover, for example, some unexpected or unknown app running in the background. Or that some combination of apps causes the problem.

Very much worth the time and effort to eliminated other possibilities before sending the system back to MSI.

Reactions: 300Luminous