Aug 2, 2021
Um hi so yeah i replace my old sempron cpu too fx 6100 after sometime my pc will freeze sometimes it wont boot . What are causing it? It is because my psu cant give enough power? Or the cpu damaged?

My specs
Fx 6100
750 ti
M5A78L-M LX mobo
And 5 years old 230w psu (i need to change this as soon as possible)

I want to upgrade my old pc since the pandemic got bored at home.

I put back my old sempron 145 and the pc still boot.
My pc freeze with the fx 6100 when i open an app or games. And then i downclock my cpu and it last a little bit longer and freeze again. Before that it just freeze at startup.
If you didn't upgrade your cpu cooler, that's the culprit as the 6100 puts out over 2x the heat:
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/AMD-Sempron-145-vs-AMD-FX-6100-Six-Core/403vs257

One trick you can try that I've used is to set your cpu fan to 100% all the time and see if that's enough. Also, if you didn't use new cpu paste, that's another problem.

I wouldn't run the 6100 without proper cooling as you can damage it. Higher performance cpu coolers are cheap and as long as your current one isn't a proprietary design, should be an easy install.

Last edited:
Reactions: Azriel0000
Depending on which sempron you had, the 6100 may be using more power as it is a 95w tdp design. If your power supply is marginal, then this could be the issue.

The other thing it could be is a fake cpu, depending on where you bought it, and most certainly fake if it was advertised as 'new'. Or as you mentioned, it could also just be bad.

I would put in your old cpu and see if the problem goes away. If it doesn't, you may have damaged your system during the upgrade.

Aug 2, 2021
My pc freeze with the fx 6100 when i open an app or games. And then i downclock my cpu and it last a little bit longer and freeze again. Before that it just freeze at startup.

If you didn't upgrade your cpu cooler, that's the culprit as the 6100 puts out over 2x the heat:
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/AMD-Sempron-145-vs-AMD-FX-6100-Six-Core/403vs257

One trick you can try that I've used is to set your cpu fan to 100% all the time and see if that's enough. Also, if you didn't use new cpu paste, that's another problem.

I wouldn't run the 6100 without proper cooling as you can damage it. Higher performance cpu coolers are cheap and as long as your current one isn't a proprietary design, should be an easy install.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2021

I put a little bit more thermal paste and change the fan too 100% and it still didnt freeze or crash after 10 minutes. I will try to put it underload and see if it freeze or not. Its look like it working. Didnt freeze or crash. Thank you for helping me. :D I spend like 4 hours google about this.

Last edited:
I put a little bit more thermal paste and change the fan too 100% and it still didnt freeze or crash after 10 minutes. I will try to put it underload and see if it freeze or not. Its look like it working. Didnt freeze or crash. Thank you for helping me. :D
That's great! I would expect it to crash though under load unless you have all your case fans also running at 100%. I can typically run 95w cpus on 65w heatsinks by setting all fans to 100%, but you're trying to run a notoriously hot 95w cpu on a 45w heatsink which may not have enough to keep the cpu safe.

Long term, I would look at a new cooler for the 6100 to keep it safe and only use the system under light load until you do, even with all the fans at 100%.

Aug 2, 2021
I will replace my old crappy fan with a new a soon as can. It almost reach 80c while i running some games. Again thanks for the help.

I will replace my old crappy fan with a new a soon as can. It almost reach 80c while i running some games. Again thanks for the help.
The cooler is the real culprit as the fan only blow air across it. If you're above 70c, that's bad as it's the thermal limit for the 6100 and will damage it. I would avoid any load that makes it hotter than 50c until you get a new cooler or you may have to get a new cooler and new 6100:

You're welcome! Just be sure to get that thing cooled down quick to prevent any damage to anything. Remember that you are also stressing older components that may not have as much resistance to failure and pushing it hard like this can cause them to fail.

Aug 2, 2021
The cooler is the real culprit as the fan only blow air across it. If you're above 70c, that's bad as it's the thermal limit for the 6100 and will damage it. I would avoid any load that makes it hotter than 50c until you get a new cooler or you may have to get a new cooler and new 6100:

You're welcome! Just be sure to get that thing cooled down quick to prevent any damage to anything. Remember that you are also stressing older components that may not have as much resistance to failure and pushing it hard like this can cause them to fail.
I will use my old sempron until i get a better fan i think.

How about cr1400 model it is enough for the fx6100?
No clue. All they spout out is a bunch of marketing junk and act like every other shady cooler company.

What I would get if I was in your shoes is something like the Cooler Master Hyper TX3 CPU Cooler RR-910-HTX3-G1 that does the job without a lot of fluff:
https://pangoly.com/en/review/cooler-master-hyper-tx3

It has a nice and high 130w tdp cpu support so should be even good enough to overclock a bit if you wanted to.

This older thread had a lot of great info on cooling the 6100:

Last edited:

ASK THE COMMUNITY