Question PC freeze and crash randomly, possible motherboard freeze ?

Dec 13, 2021
Hello, i've built a pc and since day one the pc freeze randomly, from every 15 minutes to 1 time a month.

When it "freeze", the leds of my graphic card turns off, I lost the bluetooth and my controllers. I can still move my mouse and click on certain application for 2/3 (like saving something on InDesign or Photoshop) until it crash completly. The others application juste blackscreen. I first thought it was a storage problem, because the crashes appeared when I was on some applications (gaming, InDesign, ...). But i've moved all the application on an other SSD and still have the problem. Then I was thinking that it was a power problem from my house, because it crashed when my mom had the hover on (?). Since I moved out 4 months ago, nothing happens. But yesterday i've played a game with two controllers connected, and it freeze every 15 minutes, but when we pluged off the controllers, it worked again.

Yesterday, when we played and it crashed, my motherboard leds blink a bit, switched off, then we disconnected the controllers and it goes back to normal.

The main components :

GPU : GeForce RTX 3060Ti EAGLE OC
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard : ASUS ROG Strix B550-F
PSU : Gigabyte P750GM 750W
RAM : HyperX Fury DDR4 16GB

What could be the problem ?? (If you need a precision don't hesitate)

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 13, 2021
Oh gosh you're right, I've just read a ton of article saying it could explode ??
Maybe I'll change it before it destroy my entire comptuer instead of just freezing it :unsure:

I'll keep updated if it was the problem, thanks for the information !!

steveb1976

Reputable
Oct 4, 2020
that gigabyte psu is know to explode and catch fire at worse case. but its also been know to trip its fuses and case crashes ,until reset.(powered of and on). if you bought it in 2021. you should be able to return it to store for a replacement psu.

also the game controllers, are you plugging them into usb 2.0 or usb 3.0 ports at the back of the case ?

Dec 13, 2021
also the game controllers, are you plugging them into usb 2.0 or usb 3.0 ports at the back of the case ?

Both of them were on the back !
But I can now close the case, because the PSU was indeed the problem. I've changed it with a Corsair TX750M and it work perfectly, I think the bad electricity equipment from my last place + the PSU didn't helped at all !

Thanks for the advice !!

TonyACG51

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2010
Hello, i've built a pc and since day one the pc freeze randomly, from every 15 minutes to 1 time a month.

When it "freeze", the leds of my graphic card turns off, I lost the bluetooth and my controllers. I can still move my mouse and click on certain application for 2/3 (like saving something on InDesign or Photoshop) until it crash completly. The others application juste blackscreen. I first thought it was a storage problem, because the crashes appeared when I was on some applications (gaming, InDesign, ...). But i've moved all the application on an other SSD and still have the problem. Then I was thinking that it was a power problem from my house, because it crashed when my mom had the hover on (?). Since I moved out 4 months ago, nothing happens. But yesterday i've played a game with two controllers connected, and it freeze every 15 minutes, but when we pluged off the controllers, it worked again.

Yesterday, when we played and it crashed, my motherboard leds blink a bit, switched off, then we disconnected the controllers and it goes back to normal.

The main components :

GPU : GeForce RTX 3060Ti EAGLE OC
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard : ASUS ROG Strix B550-F
PSU : Gigabyte P750GM 750W
RAM : HyperX Fury DDR4 16GB

What could be the problem ?? (If you need a precision don't hesitate)

Okay it could be overheating.

Though if you're using devices like a tablet, keypad, some keyboards, 3d mouse and video game controllers this will cause these problems. I currently have and issue using a 3d Connexion, Razer Tartarus and controller. The controller will cause freezes and lag spikes in Steam for a stuttering effect and in Epic it lags all the time. This happens to me when I move the cord of the controller too much. Disconnecting these devices and only using one fixes the problem.