Question PC freeze then no post ARGH!

Dec 7, 2019
My problem happened a few hours ago and I've been trying to troubleshoot with no luck. Looking for any guidance.

Had YouTube videos going on one monitor with a game going on the other. PC then freezes up completely out of nowhere with an ungodly and concerning audio coming through headphones. I hard reset, it boots into windows blue screen saying a problem was encountered and it auto reset itself, cool.

After that itll now only power up with no post. Can't discern beeps as I have no speaker.

-fans on chassis, gpu and cpu all power up
-removed gpu and tried booting with integrated
-tried ruling out ram testing both sticks individually in different slots
-asus q-led cpu light is a solid red
-tried restarting cmos with jumper pins
-tried removing cmos battery

At this stage in thinking it's either a cpu or mobo burn out. But I'm looking for any other options to either narrow it down or attempt to fix. Only thing I can think of that I haven't tried is reseating cpu.

Asus z170 pro gaming
I5 6600k
Msi gtx 1070 gaming x
EVGA supernova 750w G2
Corsair vengeance lpx 16gb 2400mhz
System is roughly 3 years old

Thanks for any help

Lutfij

Titan
Did you breadboard the system with only one stick of ram, the boot drive and only the integrated GPU? While breadboarded and powered down(+switched off at the main wall outlet) take the CMOS battery out for at least 30 minutes and replace it. See if you can get to BIOS screen.

You will need to borrow a PSU of similar build quality from a friend or neighbor to rule out a bad PSU.

Dec 7, 2019
Did you breadboard the system with only one stick of ram, the boot drive and only the integrated GPU? While breadboarded and powered down(+switched off at the main wall outlet) take the CMOS battery out for at least 30 minutes and replace it. See if you can get to BIOS screen.

You will need to borrow a PSU of similar build quality from a friend or neighbor to rule out a bad PSU.

I will attempt that now thank you. What can we rule out if it doesn't produce any results?

That might be tough for me to chase up. Everything appears to be powered correctly though. Both fans and mobo power standby led is on

EDIT: Breadboarding the system did not work
EDIT2: Reseating cpu did not work

Last edited: