PC Freeze when playing game, without restart/bsod

Satria Manggala

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2016
I have problem with my PC. Sometimes, my PC freeze when playing game after random time. Sometimes freeze just after play 10-15min, but sometimes 1 hour passed. My last play is Crysis 2 for around 20 min. Keyboard numlock and capslock light turned off when my PC freezing. I can't do anything, except restart with Restart button. My game sound stopped. I think it just freeze when gaming. I never freeze when browsing for a long time.

I check my HDD with sentinel. Health and performance 100%, Is sentinel accurate?
I check again my HDD in other PC. I'm using my HDD just for game not booting (boot using other pc's hdd), and I play Age of Empire 3 for 1 hour, nothing happened.
I check my ram using memtest86+ for 2 hours, no error detected. My ram is using 1,5v (from official site). But, I'm using bios auto setting with 1,6v.
I buy second GPU, but have no problem with previous PC. Still, I'm not sure if my GPU make PC freezing.
I have change my CPU thermal paste a few days ago. I think isn't CPU temp problem.

A few days ago, I had windows problem and I solved this problem with reinstall windows. Is this just windows problem or may be hardware problem too that cause my pc freezing?
jgkux5.jpg

I've checked other thread "PC Freeze"

My rig:
AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE
MSI GTX 660 TF
Corsair Vengeance DDR3 12800 2x 2GB (Dual Channel)
ASROCK 770DE3L
WD Blue 500 GB
PSU Corsair VS450
5 fan (CPU fan included)
1 DVD Drive

Thanks.

Solution

1) You can test by underclocking everything (use overclocking software to limit the video card to ~75% or even 50% frequency, windows power options to do the same for the CPU) and seeing if that helps. If it helps a lot, it could be either video card or PSU failure.

2) Your computer is ~5 years old in terms of CPU and video card, about a decade old in terms of memory (seriously, most modern games don't even work with 4GB). Don't bother "upgrading" anything, it's...

Satria Manggala

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2016

I think so. Can I verify that my psu that cause freeze?
I'm sure to fix, I will fix this computer, coz my computer is still better than my friends. So, I think my computer isn't too old. And I don't have much money to change my computer, maybe just change part by part.

1) You can test by underclocking everything (use overclocking software to limit the video card to ~75% or even 50% frequency, windows power options to do the same for the CPU) and seeing if that helps. If it helps a lot, it could be either video card or PSU failure.

2) Your computer is ~5 years old in terms of CPU and video card, about a decade old in terms of memory (seriously, most modern games don't even work with 4GB). Don't bother "upgrading" anything, it's a waste of money

3) Save up ~$550 and you can get a fairly good budget system, save up $650 and you can get a machine that's at least 5x more powerful!

Solution

Satria Manggala

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2016
I have msi afterburner. turn power limit to 75%, core clock -275 mhz, memory clock -275mhz. I will see changes for 5 days later (I can't check everyday). From windows power setting, I set CPU states 75%.
2hft8on.png

Yes, I bought this PC on 2012. Hahaha, now 2016 best games using 8 GB minimum.

I'm a student n don't have a job. I can only saving ~$10 /month monthly cash from my parents.

The solution is easy then, just find a temp job during weekends or something. Back in college I was raking in enough to buy a new camera and photo workstation from simply taking a few photos a week, I'm sure that you could save up the ~$600 for a great entry level computer by working a few hours a weekend for a few months (assuming ~8 hours a week, you'll have enough in 3 months)

No, removing the GPU when there's PSU issues may cause the issue to be hidden. Basically removing the GPU and having the system be stable means we're back to square one and it's either GPU or PSU

Satria Manggala

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2016
I was play some games (dota2,sniper elite v2, crysis2,etc) for many hours within this 5 days. Now, there is no freeze again.
I think my question was solved by basroil. My psu isn't enough to cover my rig.

Thanks for your solution XD
I will buy other psu someday, now I'm playing with 75% cpu and gpu usage for a while.