Question PC freeze when playing pubg

Status
Not open for further replies.

boiboy263

Reputable
Feb 26, 2019
Hi,

Im having a problem that whenever I play pubg, after a while, the PC starts to freeze and not stop until i hard reset it. Even though LoL and CSGO dont make it freeze because those game only take about ~50% gpu, but the weird thing here is when I try furmarking, the PC is still perfectly fine ( the temps is around 70*c but I think thats ok ).
I recently added a NVME to my rig, the PM981a but my mobo only have 16 lanes and the graphic card is running at x16, is that a problem ?

Thanks for helping ! Really appreciated !

boiboy263

Reputable
Feb 26, 2019
my bad my bad

spec:
r3 3100
8gb crucial ballistix 3000mhz
a320m-hdv rev4.0
nvme pm981a 256gb
rx 570 4gb msi armor

and the power supply is the fenge 600w, although its not a famous brand but I think its ok cuz I did a full furmark (include furmark, prime95, memtest) but its still perfectly fine.

thanks for the help anyways !

Apr 20, 2021
Since problem apears after playing the game for a while I suspect that your computer might be overheating. Try enabling the VSync or lowering gprahical settings to lower the GPU load. This might prevent your computer from overheating due to full GPU utilization.

Reactions: boiboy263

boiboy263

Reputable
Feb 26, 2019
Hi SilverWarior,
I did try a temp test with all the components but its likely not the problem.
Also I did try to lower graphics too, even reduce window size to 1280x720 but nothing is getting better.

Apr 20, 2021
The second thing you should check is to monitor the ram usage of the game that is causing your troubles. If it is constantly slowly rising then the current version probably contains a bug (memory leak) which causes your computer to slowly run out of RAM. This forces Windows to start moving data of other programs from RAM into a page swap file that is usually located on system drive. Since even fastest SSD's are still much slower than RAM this would eventually lead to slow performance of the entire operating system and not only your game.
Closing the game will release the consumed memory so windows could then start mobbing data of other applications back to the RAM.

As for availability of PCI lanes on your computer. If you have two or more hardware that combined could make use of more PCI lanes that your computer have this means that your computer will have to split the number of available PCI lanes to each device most likely leading to scenario where neither of the device will get assigned all the PCI lanes that they could handle. But since PCI lanes are assigned at computer start this would not have delayed effect to your gameplay but instead would be noticeable right away.

boiboy263

Reputable
Feb 26, 2019
OK, then I will increase the page file size to see if its slow or freeze. Because my case is instant freeze to death so I assume this will maybe increase the live time of my pc ?

And for the pcie, you mean if the pgu and the nvme dont like each other then it won even boot up. So this is not the cause of my problem ?

Apr 20, 2021
if the cause for your problems is emory leak then increasing the page file size should delay the problem a bit.

As for PCIE lanes there is no such thing as devices liking each other or not.
When PC boots up BIOS assigns each device certain number of PCI lanes that such device can use. Now I'm not sure how does it decides which device would get how many PCI lanes assigned. It could be that they are split evenly or maybe based on certain priority. I recommend you create a new question regarding this in apropriate place of the forum.

boiboy263

Reputable
Feb 26, 2019
Yes, I mean if the problem is the pcie lanes then the pc shoudnt be able to even boot up so thats not the cause of the problem. Am I understand it right ?

I did a re-check in Task Manager and I see that when the pc start to freeze, the disk usage is 100% and the Task Manager runs for a couple of second (still monitoring, the graph continue to display) and after that is a complete freezing.

I wonder where does the problem come from ?

boiboy263

Reputable
Feb 26, 2019
Hi, as I mentioned above, I did a check in Task Manager and I see that when the pc start to freeze, the disk usage is 100% and the Task Manager runs for a couple of second (still monitoring, the graph continue to display) and after that is a complete freezing.
Any help ? Really appreciated !

boiboy263

Reputable
Feb 26, 2019
The ssd is only 99/233gb, and its in good condition according to health test so I assume the ssd is fine.
About the ram usage, during playing time, its about 6.9/8gb and stay there so I think the ram overflow is not the case too.
I did check gpu-z and it said the gpu is running at x4 3.0 instead of x16 3.0.
I have a question: My mobo have 16 lanes, so all will be busy for the gpu, that mean the nvme doesnt have any lanes to go, so it divided to x4 and x4 ? I read on some forums they said ryzen actually has 24 lanes, 16 for gpu, 4 for nvme, 4 for chipset ? If thats correct, then why my gpu is running at x4 ?
Thanks for replying !

Status
Not open for further replies.