[SOLVED] PC Freeze with weird sound from HDD ?

Sep 14, 2020
Hello, My PC froze several times in recent days with a weird noise coming from HDD. It unfroze itself within several seconds, so I didn't care much. However, today morning it didn't even boot, but stuck on boot screen with the weird noise continuously coming from the HDD. After several minutes, it booted to the desktop and I could normally use the PC. It is working fine for more than 2 hours now, but I am worried if my HDD is damaged.

Here's the sound coming from HDD (I recorded it with my phone, so it may not be very clear)

I ran the chkdsk command as soon as it boot up, and here's the result.

image-2020-11-14-074748.png

Then, I download Hard Disk Sentinel, and Here's what is says...

Capture.png

(Here's the link in the image : https://www.hdsentinel.com/hard_disk_case_communication_error.php)

Please help me! If you need any more information, please ask me! Thank you!

P.S. - My HDD is Seagate Barracuda 7200 .12

Last edited:
Solution
Oh... I previously had version 1709, But some system files got corrupted, so I had to reinstall windows. I downloaded the ISO from Microsoft website, and it was the latest version. (By the way, I don't think they have download links for previous versions.) I guess you are right because I also have some problems with the GPU drivers.

Will Installing an older version help? (I thought, the latest is always better) Otherwise, I am thinking about switching to Windows 7.
Windows 8.1 would probably be the best for you. It will still be supported with security updates until the end of 2022. Windows 7 is no longer supported by Microsoft so it would not be very safe to use.
Hello, My PC froze several times in recent days with a weird noise coming from HDD. It unfroze itself within several seconds, so I didn't care much. However, today morning it didn't even boot, but stuck on boot screen with the weird noise continuously coming from the HDD. After several minutes, it booted to the desktop and I could normally use the PC. It is working fine for more than 2 hours now, but I am worried if my HDD is damaged.

Here's the sound coming from HDD (I recorded it with my phone, so it may not be very clear)

I ran the chkdsk command as soon as it boot up, and here's the result.

image-2020-11-14-074748.png

Then, I download Hard Disk Sentinel, and Here's what is says...

Capture.png

(Here's the link in the image : https://www.hdsentinel.com/hard_disk_case_communication_error.php)

Please help me! If you need any more information, please ask me! Thank you!

P.S. - My HDD is Seagate Barracuda 7200 .12
Try running crystal disk info, generally if you hear sounds from your hdd it's not a good sign. And if it finds your drive to have any problem then consider backing up everything and also you might have this opportunity to get an SSD it you don't have.

Reactions: Ben_MacTavish
Sep 14, 2020
The sound stopped after I tried unplugging and re-plugging the SATA cable and power cable several times. It's kind of normally working now, but I am still worried. CHKDSK reports no errors now, I don't know how or why. If it is a physical damage, how does it magically repair itself?

C:\WINDOWS\system32>chkdsk
The type of the file system is NTFS.

WARNING! /F parameter not specified.
Running CHKDSK in read-only mode.

Stage 1: Examining basic file system structure ...
599296 file records processed.
File verification completed.
Phase duration (File record verification): 26.93 seconds.
11838 large file records processed.
Phase duration (Orphan file record recovery): 0.00 milliseconds.
0 bad file records processed.
Phase duration (Bad file record checking): 0.28 milliseconds.

Stage 2: Examining file name linkage ...
38782 reparse records processed.
749890 index entries processed.
Index verification completed.
Phase duration (Index verification): 1.83 minutes.
0 unindexed files scanned.
Phase duration (Orphan reconnection): 889.39 milliseconds.
0 unindexed files recovered to lost and found.
Phase duration (Orphan recovery to lost and found): 0.22 milliseconds.
38782 reparse records processed.
Phase duration (Reparse point and Object ID verification): 117.45 milliseconds.

Stage 3: Examining security descriptors ...
Security descriptor verification completed.
Phase duration (Security descriptor verification): 102.48 milliseconds.
75298 data files processed.
Phase duration (Data attribute verification): 0.95 milliseconds.
CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
32580952 USN bytes processed.
Usn Journal verification completed.
Phase duration (USN journal verification): 796.07 milliseconds.

Windows has scanned the file system and found no problems.
No further action is required.

104788993 KB total disk space.
62196876 KB in 270816 files.
199420 KB in 75299 indexes.
0 KB in bad sectors.
708105 KB in use by the system.
65536 KB occupied by the log file.
41684592 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
26197248 total allocation units on disk.
10421148 allocation units available on disk.
Total duration: 2.31 minutes (138728 ms).

Try running crystal disk info, generally if you hear sounds from your hdd it's not a good sign. And if it finds your drive to have any problem then consider backing up everything and also you might have this opportunity to get an SSD it you don't have.

Here's what Crystal Disk Info says..
image-2020-11-15-104911.png

I don't have much important files, just games and programs like stuff. If the HDD become totally unusable, I would buy an SSD... Do you see something wrong in Crystal Disk Info report?

According to the Hard Disk Sentinel image you provided, your C partition is only 100GB? That is not a lot of space for Windows to run.
Since Hard Disk Sentinel says your HDD is good, the problem is likely somewhere else in your system. Can you list the parts in your computer?

Yes, it is 100 GB. By the way, I bought the whole computer pre-built (except the GPU) and they partitioned and installed Windows for me. Do I really need to partition the hard drive? Is one partition enough? Sorry if these are stupid questions, I don't know much.

Processor: Intel Core i5-2400 @ 3.10GHz
RAM: 4 GB
Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce GTX 560
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 7200. 12
Motherboard: wolfNfox computer IPMSB-H61
PSU: I don't know the model, there is no label on it either. 500W

Sep 14, 2020
According to the chkdsk command image you posted, you are running "Windows [Version 10.0.19042.508]" which is a preview build of the latest build 20H2. Running the very latest version of Windows on a 10 year old PC could be the reason you are now seeing problems.

Oh... I previously had version 1709, But some system files got corrupted, so I had to reinstall windows. I downloaded the ISO from Microsoft website, and it was the latest version. (By the way, I don't think they have download links for previous versions.) I guess you are right because I also have some problems with the GPU drivers.

Will Installing an older version help? (I thought, the latest is always better) Otherwise, I am thinking about switching to Windows 7.

Windows 8.1 would probably be the best for you. It will still be supported with security updates until the end of 2022. Windows 7 is no longer supported by Microsoft so it would not be very safe to use.

Reactions: Ben_MacTavish
Solution