PC Freezes 10 minutes after windows loads | No BSOD | New Graphcis Card

Almith

Reputable
Nov 10, 2014
I'll try my best to keep it short. A friend of mine has been using an Nvidia GT 610. I gave him my older GTX 470 which I had no issues with prior. After installing the driver, windows wouldn't load. Which led to the discovery that his PSU didn't have enough power on the 12v rail. We replaced the PSU with a brand new EVGA unit with 49A on the 12v rail, as the card calls for atleast 34A.

Now, windows loads properly after driver installation. After roughly 10 minutes, the machine freezes, like clockwork. It does it when simply in windows, with very little running. It also does it when a game is loaded (and also runs games WAY smoother than the gt 610, despite the freeze shortly after.)

Here is some additional information after troubleshooting thus far

-Switching back to the GT 610, using the same new power supply, everything works as it once did.
-Temps do not exceed, nor come close, to 105 Celsius, which is the cap as stated by Nvidia
- I made sure to uninstall the old card's driver, this installation was fresh
- It 'was' overclocked when in my PC months ago, but not too much. Maybe 200mhz. I thought the overclock might have stayed, but I tested, and it is running at base clock
- I've visually inspected the card, and there are no signs of bad capacitors, resistors, or any physical damage what so ever
- I attempted to get some more info via event viewer, but honestly, I have no idea what exactly I'm looking for
- This happened a few years ago when it was in my pc, but I removed and reseated the card, and it fixed it. That same process didn't work this time.
- Unless I'm mistaken, there's no way it can be memory, or the mobo, considering the system runs perfectly with the GT 610

If someone can point me in the right direction as to what to test next, that would be great. Event viewer is very confusing as I just get overloaded with information. I don't even know how event viewer could possibly have a recorded error, due to the nature of the freeze. If it's of any importance, the CPU is a AMD Phenom II X4 955, the PSU is a EVGA - 80 PLUS 600W ATX 12V/EPS 12V.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

EDIT: I posted about this same particular situation a few years ago, but as mentioned, when I reseated the card, it ran fine lol. I should note that I am using a DVI cable, with a VGA adapter, connected to his monitor. Not sure if that could be an issue, though.

Solution
Lots of things make video card crash. When you remove the old video card drivers, make sure you get it completely uninstalled. Leaving fragments of old drivers in the registry path will cause plenty of unforgivable crashes. Nvidia recommends you use the Windows uninstaller to do this. Truth is, sometimes it doesn't work. DDU is a dedicated remover you can get on line. You may need to use Ccleaner (30 day free to use) or Revo uninstaller. I download DDU from Bleeping Computer or you can download straight from the author. Free to use.

https://www.wagnardsoft.com/

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/display-driver-uninstaller/

If you have fragments of old drivers left in your computer, you may have to reinstall the old drivers to...

Almith

Reputable
Nov 10, 2014

Alright so I'm baffled. I dissembled friends PC, brought it to my work bench. Popped my old GTX 470 in, only plugged in keys/mouse, and im using an old monitor of mine. 30 minutes in, no crash. I'm even using the same DVI/VGA cable. As mentioned, I remember having this problem in the past, but I got lucky, and it simply quit when i reseated it. I'd love to know what's actually causing it, though.

Almith

Reputable
Nov 10, 2014
UPDATE:
It seems like I can force the hang to happen by using the "windows experience" assessment program. Temps still don't go much past 70 Celsius, when the card is rated for 105 Celsius. I made it through one assessment just fine, then tried again, then it froze as usual.

Rexer

Distinguished
Lots of things make video card crash. When you remove the old video card drivers, make sure you get it completely uninstalled. Leaving fragments of old drivers in the registry path will cause plenty of unforgivable crashes. Nvidia recommends you use the Windows uninstaller to do this. Truth is, sometimes it doesn't work. DDU is a dedicated remover you can get on line. You may need to use Ccleaner (30 day free to use) or Revo uninstaller. I download DDU from Bleeping Computer or you can download straight from the author. Free to use.

https://www.wagnardsoft.com/

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/display-driver-uninstaller/

If you have fragments of old drivers left in your computer, you may have to reinstall the old drivers to get the uninstaller program to see and remove the old fragments.
-Clean out all the junk and temp files: right click C: drive> at the bottom of the window, click 'Properties'> in general click 'Disk Cleanup'. Let it run till finish.
-Run the Error Checking tool: right click C: drive> at the bottom of the window, click 'Properties'> find the 'Tools' tab and click it.> click the 'Check' button in the 'Error checking' window. If you're using a hard disk drive (HDD), it's a good idea to run the 'Optimize and Defragment' tool after error checking too.
-On all your games, especially those you play on line, reset your games to either 'Reset' or 'Default'. Sometimes games like to remember a crash like a game setting. Steam games like to remember your settings as a courtesy to the user but sometimes it remembers a crash like a game setting. Resetting or default will get rid of the crash. Make sure you write down your game settings as they will also be gone.
-Make sure you have the recommended requirements to run each game, plenty of ram, etc.
Hope this helps.

Solution