Feb 10, 2019
I've had my pc for 4 years with very few issues, specs:
- AMD FX-6350
- Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 6.0 (Socket M2) Motherboard
- 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 803MHz Memory
- GTX 1060 6GB
- All other specs can be found here:
http://speccy.piriform.com/results/HuafUOdwPlHTyrpJ5dVQBml

But since this Friday (8th Feb) I haven't been able to run a game for more than 30 minutes before my computer completely freezes and I have to hard reset

Extra Information:
- One of my hard drives is corrupted and has been for many months, windows recognises that my current hard drive is the one it should be booting from (and all windows files and my files are on it, not on the corrupted one), but attempts to remove the corrupted drive result in the pc not booting (but the PC has been fine up until this Friday in this state)
- Everything apart from gaming, e.g. extended use, having multiple programs open and watching videos are all fine, so I doubt the issue is memory related (since I only have 1 stick anyway)
- And finally all drivers are up to date

If you have any ideas/ could help, I'd be very grateful

On a system with more than one drive, Windows can put startup code on one drive and the rest of Windows on another. It sounds like your startup info is on the drive with the corruption while most of Windows is on the good drive. I think I'd install EasyBCD (from Neosmart) and use it to move the startup info to the good drive if you can. Then I'd try running CHKDSK to attempt correction of the corruption on the other drive.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I'm more on the same page as 13thmonkey here - whilst the HDD needs to be resolved, and will only cause issues. I don't suspect it would cause crashes on only games unless it was trying to retrieve corrupted data for the game itself. You sure that there's no potential game data stored on the corrupted drive?

On top of that, the gaming I would assume is when your putting most load onto your GPU, so it cutting out after 30 minutes could seem more like a GPU issue at first. Even as simple as GPU drivers. Are your GPU drivers up to date, and what are the GPU temperatures under load / prior to crash?

Feb 10, 2019
All of my games are installed on the new drive, the only stuff that continues to run on the old one are some Nvidia functions (web helper).
I use Geforce Experience to update my drivers, the last one was 6 days ago (04/02/2019). and the GPU temp under load is around 60-65 degrees.

TRENDING THREADS