[SOLVED] PC Freezes after gaming for awhile (RTX 2070)

Jan 5, 2019
Hi guys, I recently got a new PC build and I am enjoying it so far. The only problem I am encountering is that after I game for a long time the game freezes and my whole PC just freezes and sound just cutts off... For example: I played fortnite for 3-4 hours and then it froze. Just now I played GTA 5 on ULTRA settings for 1-2 hours and it froze as well.. fortnite is being played on 4:3.

GPU temps are max 61 degrees and CPU around 60-65. Do you guys think I need more fans installed in my PC to fix this problem? Or is it entirely something else. Anyways here's my build:

Motherboard: MSI H370 Gaming Plus
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x8 2400 Mhz
CPU: Intel Core i5-9600k 3,7 Ghz
GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 2070
PSU: Corsair RM650x 650 watt
Heatsink: Be Quiet! Pure Rock.

[EDIT] I have 3 case coolers, 2 in the front and 1 in the back. And then you have the fan on the pure rock heatsink.

Solution
Also, the CPU is fine temp wise. A worst-case but real-world test is an application such as Handbrake that can run the CPU at 100% (stress test at 100% is not same thing... it's complicated) and for your CPU I'd probably go with 80degC in that case (Handbrake not stress test like Prime95).

Once stable I'd overclock the CPU a bit if you have not already. In which case use the motherboard fan software and motherboard overclock settings to find a good compromise between CPU clock and temperature under load.

You need a very good cooler to get 5GHz I believe. If yours is closer to say a Noctua NH-U14S then maybe 4.6GHz all cores is the best you can do but I'm guessing a bit... it's also doing some Turboing already up to 4.6GHz so it might...
Jan 5, 2019

Nope not overclocking at all. Everything is stock. What I did notice is the fan doesn't spin when not gaming.

yorben_vandyck

Prominent
Mar 20, 2018

when you aren't gaming the fans on the gpu don't need to spin cause they aren't under any high load wich requires active cooling could you try a benchmark of 3dmark and post it here? also type windows +R
type in MSINFO32 save it and upload it somewhere i can download it

*contact GRAPHICS CARD tech support to see if there's a vBIOS flash for potential issues there.. if not then:

In my experience the top, potential issues here would be:

1) DDR4 memory:
run MEMTEST86 for a full pass www.memtest86.com
(create USB stick, boot to it.. go into BIOS to select if need be, then just look at screen until a FULL PASS completes without errors or you see errors)

2) Power Supply:
Second last thing you check often as it requires swapping in another one.

3) Graphics card:
Try underclocking both the GPU and video memory by either the maximum OFFSET or to 90% of its default values (depends on what tool you have). If it's stable now it's one of those.

Overclocking my GPU (EVGA GTX1080) caused the game to run fine in most games but crash in Witcher 3. Some games stress the GPU and/or video memory differently.

*being fine temperature wise doesn't mean you can't crash due to voltage being too LOW or frequency being too HIGH.

4) run FURMARK... if that crashes within two minutes I'd suspect the graphics card

5) CPU?
I'd just run the Intel CPU Diagnostic. I doubt it's the CPU though.
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool

6) Motherboard?
It's the very, very last thing you check after everything else fails to pan out. I doubt it's the problem though based on symptoms.

So in-order it's probably:
a) graphics card
b) DDR4 memory
c) Power Supply
d) motherboard

If underclocking the GPU and VRAM works I'd raise the VRAM back to defaults first. If that works it's probably the GPU (processor). In that case I'd experiment until it's always stable. Drop about 50MHz below whatever crashes the GPU (i.e. 2050MHz vs 2100MHz).

Jan 5, 2019

This is the 3Dmark result: http://prntscr.com/m5l0po

And this is the msinfo download: http://www.mediafire.com/file/1ya943uc7lsa1u1/msinfo.nfo/file

Also, the CPU is fine temp wise. A worst-case but real-world test is an application such as Handbrake that can run the CPU at 100% (stress test at 100% is not same thing... it's complicated) and for your CPU I'd probably go with 80degC in that case (Handbrake not stress test like Prime95).

Once stable I'd overclock the CPU a bit if you have not already. In which case use the motherboard fan software and motherboard overclock settings to find a good compromise between CPU clock and temperature under load.

You need a very good cooler to get 5GHz I believe. If yours is closer to say a Noctua NH-U14S then maybe 4.6GHz all cores is the best you can do but I'm guessing a bit... it's also doing some Turboing already up to 4.6GHz so it might not make much difference for you to overclock a small amount anyway.

You can monitor TASK MANAGER just doing the Intel CPU Diagnostic. After several seconds it should stabilize all SIX CORES to whatever the max all-core value is.

Ah... it's 4.3GHz with all six cores on DEFAULT settings (not using MCP, MCE or whatever it's called in BIOS or manual overclock).. so probably about 4.4GHz in most games. 4.8GHz would be a 9% boost so unless you can do 4.8GHz then 4.6GHz won't make much difference, especially if the temp goes way up.

Solution