Question Pc freezes after installation of hard drive

Nov 13, 2019
hi! so as i said in the title i recently bought a wd black 6tb and when i installed it inside of my lenovo legion my computer has started freezing and sometime crashing... i really need help i tried everything even talking to lenovo and wd but nothing resolved my problem... Thanks

Nov 13, 2019
That means the black 6tb HDD may have problem, try it to other PC to see what happens. If you get the same problem, then contact WD for replacement.
Okay but in lifeguard it says that the drive is fine... Is that reliable or not because I already tried to contact wd support and they told me the same thing... So actually I run with a wd blue 1tb which is my original hard drive and a Seagate 1tb and the computer runs fine... Also when I am trying to benchmark my pc with user benchmark it says that the drive cannot be rated because it is ram cached... Could that be the problem...?

Is your Legion a laptop? (Is the WB Back drive not a 7200 RPM 3.5" drive?) What specific model of Legion do you have? Confirm you have managed to squeeze a 3.5" drive into a laptop?)

Assuming you even have internal space for a 3.5" desktop drive, your laptop might not be capable of supplying enough power to the larger desktop drive, as 7200 RPM drives often can consume/require 30 watts or more when merely spinning up...

Or, it could be failing, as often failing drives will basically almost hard lock a system up (or slow it to a miserable crawl)when trying to read/index/inventory the files contained on it....

Nov 13, 2019
Is your Legion a laptop? (Is the WB Back drive not a 7200 RPM 3.5" drive?) What specific model of Legion do you have? Confirm you have managed to squeeze a 3.5" drive into a laptop?)

Assuming you even have internal space for a 3.5" desktop drive, your laptop might not be capable of supplying enough power to the larger desktop drive, as 7200 RPM drives often can consume/require 30 watts or more when merely spinning up...

Or, it could be failing, as often failing drives will basically almost hard lock a system up (or slow it to a miserable crawl)when trying to read/index/inventory the files contained on it....
My legion is a desktop computer and the drive is a 7200 rpm drive. the specific model is t730-28ico i know it is not a problem of psu because i changed it recently for a 850w power supply. I already took it to a repair shop and they said that the drive is completely fine and they said that the computer didn't show any code of crash or freeze... its really weird...

Nov 13, 2019
Maybe, because the black HDD may have RAM (I don't know how much) on the it as a cache to speed up data transfer.
But whatever, the HDD has problem, you need to replacement.
okay but if i replace it and the new one does the same? I mean that the drive doesn't look or sound like it's bad...

Back up a bit please.
So you started with a Lenovo t730-28ico, and it ran fine, right?
What have you added before adding this 6tb drive? Did you have any issues with only those other parts installed? For how long?
Does the new 6TB drive show up in my computer? Does it show up in the BIOS?

Tell us more about the freezing please. What are you doing on the computer when it freezes? When it crashes, does it write a dump file? If so, you can upload those dump files for us to look at.

Nov 13, 2019
Back up a bit please.
So you started with a Lenovo t730-28ico, and it ran fine, right?
What have you added before adding this 6tb drive? Did you have any issues with only those other parts installed? For how long?
Does the new 6TB drive show up in my computer? Does it show up in the BIOS?

Tell us more about the freezing please. What are you doing on the computer when it freezes? When it crashes, does it write a dump file? If so, you can upload those dump files for us to look at.
the 6tb drive was the first moddification that i have made on my computer for the bios stuff, my bios is pretty weird, because i do not have any access to my conected drives. and for the freezing, it happens even if i am just watching a video on any web browser. and finally, when it crashes, it basically just shutdown and reboot. there are no dump file to be found... for now my drive has been sent to WD and they will send me a replacement drive in the next 5 to 7 days they say... well i just hope that this one will work fine, because i have seen some comments on newegg from people saying that they had the same problem as mine... turns out that there drives where bad too and some of them got their replacement drive and turns out that they were broken too. i hope that this will not happen to me again.

If the drive is making the computer turn off and back ok, my thoughts are that one of the following is most likely:
  1. There is a short in the power cable going to the drive.
  2. There is a short in the drive
  3. The drive is pulling too much power for whatever brand power supply you bought (what brand).

Since a shop tested the drive and it is fine, I am leaning towards 1 or 3 being the case.

Nov 13, 2019
If the drive is making the computer turn off and back ok, my thoughts are that one of the following is most likely:
  1. There is a short in the power cable going to the drive.
  2. There is a short in the drive
  3. The drive is pulling too much power for whatever brand power supply you bought (what brand).
Since a shop tested the drive and it is fine, I am leaning towards 1 or 3 being the case.
this is weird, because i tested multiple cables and i even changed my psu from a 500w to a 850w...
for now i will just stick with sending my drive to WD and we will see if it works or not after...

Nov 13, 2019
Ok so i received the drive a week and a half ago i tried the drive and at the begging everything was completely fine and today the computer started to freeze a lot and it wasn't a game freeze because normaly the game would of closed... but when it freezes the sound lags and after maybe 10 to 30 seconds later the games comes back to normal... also i had a weird glitch where my whole game was running slow and i couldn't click on anything... well for now this is it...