PC Freezes All the Time Making Me Hard Restart the Computer (Help)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 29, 2018
Hey guys,

I know there's a million articles out there on freezing computer remedies but none of the answers have worked so far. I'll start with my PC Specs:

CPU: AMD FX-8320
CPU Cooler: Hyper EVO 212
Graphics: Nvidia gtx 780
SSD: 128Gb Samsung 840 Series (Windows 10 boots on)
HDD: 2 tb Seagate st2000
RAM: 16Gb of ddr3
PSU: 650W
MOBO: ASRock 970 Extreme 4
Audio: Focusrite USB Audio

So I think I've narrowed it down to my computer completely locking up and freezing whenever I'm playing games or whenever I have a couple of high CPU usage programs open (Cubase / YouTube) or whenever I play video games (CSGO / Youtube). I have dual monitors so I run youtube at the same time as I play games. I've also run HWMonitor whilst playing WoW and a movie or something, and the CPU only gets to like 68 degrees Celsius.

Whenever it freezes, there's no coming back, there's no consistency of when it's about to happen and the num lock doesn't respond either. The computer has frozen up even when I was running a full virus scan on my computer forcing me to restart.

I thought it might be my focusrite scarlett 2i2 that I use as my sound card as the issue but its not. I've fully dusted and reapplied thermal paste countless times and still no whammy. I've updated all my drivers (GPU, OS, Audio Drivers, etc.). I've run full virus scans and no virus's that the computer detected.

This has been going on for a long time and it's very frustrating. If I can just figure out the issue, I'd be happy to replace the part. Is it my hard drive that's crashing? Do I need more RAM? Is the computer getting too hot? Is my graphics card too hot? Is there not enough wattage going from the PSU to the rest of the computer? Is my mobo and CPU out of date? I am truly at a lost gentlemen.

Aug 29, 2018

https://imgur.com/a/opw42Vi

I have checked this, and the only "critical" error is Kernel-power event 41 and I believe that is because I'm forced to turn my computer off the wrong way by holding down the power button instead of properly turning it off.

scout_03

Titan
Ambassador
from what i see you could also had another front panel fan as intake and not using the bottom to cool gpu so front in and back to top out also try to repaste cpu cooler and check if it not jiggling on as fan speed up sometimes middle cross screws have to be reset it is getting loose ,for info what space you have over top of board to panel on top or fans .

Aug 29, 2018
Okay so it just froze for the first time today. I was only playing world of warcraft for about 45 minutes, and then all of the sudden it froze. I kept Speccy on my other screen to monitor temps.

CPU: 43 C
Mobo: 45 C
Graphics: 70 C
HDD: 30 C
SSD: 28 C

This was after I reapplied thermal paste and readjusted my fans to face in all the right directions.
I wasnt listening to music, I wasn't doing anything crazy, I was just playing WoW.

Thoughts now?

Aug 29, 2018
Yea my man, I don't think its a heating issue.

I ran MemTest86 on my RAM and found no errors but I still bought new sticks of RAM and the PC froze 30 minutes into playing games so I'm returning the RAM. I uninstalled the soundblaster audio card and the focusrite drivers. I updated my BIOS, windows 10, and my graphics card. I went through every single device in my Device Manager and "updated drivers" and they were all already updated and STILL my PC freezes even during the most random of times.

I'm thinking 3 things:

1 I have a virus and I need to clean wipe my computer
2 I have a bad CPU / Mobo / GPU and new to change one of them out
3 The SSD I boot windows on is bad somehow?

Ralston18

Titan
Keep those "3 things" in mind but do follow scout_03's suggestions.

Seeing the Graphics temperature at 70C is a flag.

The temperature may increase at different rates due to a number of factors: room temperature, case temperatures (still warm from last power on), tasks running in the background, the intensity of game play, some fan not immediately kicking in as expected or configured.

You can easily observe more of what your system is doing via Task Manager, Resource Monitor, etc..

Those "3 things" are very unlikely per se to cause the heat problem.

Again, test per scout_03's recommendation and do so carefully and methodically.

Aug 29, 2018
Yesterday I was playing Rainbow Six Siege for 6 hours straight while on Discord and it didnt freeze on me once. Now today, it has frozen twice. I even bought and installed 2 fans inside my chasis to increase air flow and cool things down. Luckily I had Speccy running while it froze and here are the results https://imgur.com/gallery/mzgXAgF (taken with my phone while the computer was frozen.)

I was also reading somewhere that my graphics card might not be getting enough power from my PSU because of a 6-pin plug that should be an 8-pin plug? Could that be possible? Here's the quote:

Underclocking only worked briefly. What eventually turned out to be the issue was lack of power because of the cable used. The 8 pin plug in the card was being fed by a forked adapter cable (supplied with the card) that had 2 6pin adapters, that were in turn being fed from the power supply from a single 6-pin plug. Changing to my own 8pin plug that was fed from the power supply via an 8pin plug solved my power issues, and I was able to crank the card up without issues (other than expected fan noise).

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS