[SOLVED] PC freezes and BSOD right after

Status
Not open for further replies.

sultandevin

Prominent
Feb 6, 2021
hi, built this pc 2 years ago and a few months ago I decided to upgrade with a new gpu (rx 570).

here is the minidump link : https://www.dropbox.com/s/9fsz9ess0rvikbk/minidumps.zip?dl=0

started freezing frequently around this month and bsods right after (MEMORY_MANAGEMENT, KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR, IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION)
but when i bsod mostly it just stays at 0%, except for MEMORY_MANAGEMENT so i have to hard shutdown the computer using the power button, so windows doesn't produce the dump file for the other bsods.

note that before bsod, my whole pc ALWAYS freezes first for a minute, but i am still able to move my cursor and i can still hear my friends on discord talking and i am also stil able to talk to them, but when i press the windows key, alt+tab, ctrl+alt+del, or anything like that the cursor freezes and i can't hear anything on discord too, after that it just freezes completely and then it bsods. and the bsod codes that i get most frequently are MEMORY_MANAGEMENT, and KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR.

freezes and bsods only happen when playing games, and sometimes happens when i alt+tab out of a game. mostly happens on graphic intensive games, for example in cs:go it almost never bsods. sometimes right before the bsod happens and i alt+tab out a game, my taskbar becomes unresponsive and when i try alt+tabbing back in the game it freezes. bsods usually happen more frequently after it crashes once, for example, i play a game for an hour, it bsods, restart the computer, get back on the game, i play for 1 minute, it crashes, and goes on and on again.

things i've tried:
windows memory diagnostic : all without errors (3 times)
reseating GPU and RAM : still bsod
reseating SSD : still bsod
put gpu in bottom pci slot : can't even boot to windows
changed ram slots from 2&4 to 1&3 : still bsod
used each ram stick individually : still bsod
turned off xmp and downclocked ram to 2400mhz : still bsod
cleaned PC : still bsod
updated gpu drivers : still bsod
changed my usb wifi adapter : still bsod
chkdsk c: /f /r : still bsod
sfc /scannow : still bsod
used ddu and reinstalled drivers : still bsod
tried different versions of gpu drivers (19.8.1, 19.9.2, 20.9.1, 20.11.2, 21.4.1) : all bsod, used ddu before installing all

tried some stress tests too just to check
cinebench : cpu at 90 and didn't crash
furmark : gpu was at 80 and freeze then bsod (only bsod once from many)
prime95 blend test : cpu at 80 and didn't crash
crystaldiskmark : ssd at 60 and didn't crash

i have some old spare ram from my friend but i can't even boot to windows with it (crucial ballistix 2x4GB)
and i've got this weird bsod 2 times already where it's just at the corner, idk if it means anything:

View: https://imgur.com/a/qTrRgEx

my specs:

Ryzen 3 2200g
ASRock B450 Pro4
T-Force DELTA DDR4 2x4GB 3000Mhz
PowerColor RX 570
Aerocool VX Plus PSU 550W 80+
V-Gen M.2 NVMe 240GB
WD Blue 500GB (5000 RPM)
Seagate Barracuda 1TB (5000 RPM)

Last edited:
Solution
but i still don't understand how a failing psu would cause MEMORY_MANAGEMENT bsod
bad PSU can cause all bsod, as its the source of power and if it fluctuates, it can cause other things to crash

Windows not properly shutting down can just mean a restart If GPU caused it to restart, it will show that error.

not going to argue it could be PSU, I might ask a friend to convert dumps and see what they show.

Ralston18

Titan
How old is that "Aerocool VX Plus PSU 550W 80+ "? Heavy use for gaming, video editing, bit-mining....?

Look in Reliability History: Varying errors and increasing numbers of errors is symptomatic of a failing or faltering PSU.

My thought is that the PSU was marginal to begin with and the new GPU likely increased the power demands on the PSU.

The PSU crossed some threshold value where keeping up with power demands was no longer viable.

Do you have another known working PSU to swap in for testing purposes? (Do not mix cables between old and "test" PSU.

sultandevin

Prominent
Feb 6, 2021
How old is that "Aerocool VX Plus PSU 550W 80+ "? Heavy use for gaming, video editing, bit-mining....?

Look in Reliability History: Varying errors and increasing numbers of errors is symptomatic of a failing or faltering PSU.

My thought is that the PSU was marginal to begin with and the new GPU likely increased the power demands on the PSU.

The PSU crossed some threshold value where keeping up with power demands was no longer viable.

Do you have another known working PSU to swap in for testing purposes? (Do not mix cables between old and "test" PSU.
ah, i got the psu 2 years ago, i've only used it for heavy gaming, and a bit of video editing for some school projects. i don't have another psu to test with, but i can try removing the gpu and playing games with only my apu. if it doesn't bsod then it should at least eliminate all the other components in my pc besides the gpu, pci slot and psu, correct me if i'm wrong. but i still don't understand how a failing psu would cause MEMORY_MANAGEMENT bsod. and speaking of power supplies, i've also happened to experience my pc restarting in the middle of games, but it does not happen as often as the freezes and bsods. (~twice in a week)

and here is the reliabilty history :
View: https://imgur.com/a/G9mxH1n

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
"Stopped working" and "not properly shutdown" are, in my mind, an indication of a failing/faltering PSU.

However, worth trying another option or two:

First try manually downloading the GPU drivers (Radeon Software) via the manufacturer's website. Reinstall and reconfigure.

If no change then try apu as you mentioned.

Keep an eye on the Reliability History errors.

See which errors, if any, go away, change, or newly appear.

sultandevin

Prominent
Feb 6, 2021
"Stopped working" and "not properly shutdown" are, in my mind, an indication of a failing/faltering PSU.

First try manually downloading the GPU drivers (Radeon Software) via the manufacturer's website. Reinstall and reconfigure.

i've already tried using the software that comes from the manufacturer's website before (19.8.1), still bsods. so next i will try using the apu, will update in a day or two.

sultandevin

Prominent
Feb 6, 2021

update : i've tried all my usual games with my apu, no bsods or freezes. i am able to play for 2 hours straight where i would usually just bsod in 30 minutes with my gpu.
i want to rule out the gpu next, but i don't have another gpu to try with. although i'm already sure it's the power supply already, i just want to make sure i don't purchase the wrong item, is there anyway i can rule ot the gpu?

Ralston18

Titan
Keep an eye on Reliability History and the less user friendly Event Viewer.

Watch for new entries and work towards an understanding of what the errors, warnings, and informational events may mean.

Doing so, will become a baseline with which to compare other entries if and when the problems begin again.

Also learn to use Resource Monitor and Task Manager to observe system performance. Use both but only one at a time.

The intent is the same: Understand what is "normal" for your system and, as before, use that baseline to see what is different when a problem occurs.

If possible, try the GPU in another known working system. Determine if the bsod problem follows the GPU or stays with the computer.

Provied that the GPU works without problems in a new "host" then the GPU is likely okay.

Which makes the suspect power supply all the more suspect.....

FYI: if you have a multi-meter and know how to use it (or know someone who does) then you can do some testing on the PSU.

Not a full test because the PSU is not under load. Any voltages out of tolerance would indicate a failed or faltering PSU.

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

Colif

Win 11 Master
but i still don't understand how a failing psu would cause MEMORY_MANAGEMENT bsod
bad PSU can cause all bsod, as its the source of power and if it fluctuates, it can cause other things to crash

Windows not properly shutting down can just mean a restart If GPU caused it to restart, it will show that error.

not going to argue it could be PSU, I might ask a friend to convert dumps and see what they show.

Solution

Colif

Win 11 Master
Dumps conversion - https://jsfiddle.net/ad9umk26/show

You shouldn't be on version 3.60 of the bios, it says ASRock do NOT recommend updating this BIOS if Pinnacle, Raven or Summit Ridge CPU is being used on your system.

your CPU is raven ridge - https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/amd/ryzen_3/2200g

you should flash the bios back to 3.50 if you can

One crashed defender, another crashed discord.

what WIFI card is it? I see these on the May 15 crash
May 28 2015netr28ux.sysRalink Wireless Adapter driver https://www.mediatek.com/
And these on the May 12th crash
Jul 29 2019rtwlanu.sysRealtek WLAN USB NDIS Driver https://www.realtek.com/en/
should try using Ethernet and see if its your WIFI card choices.

scarlet crush can cause errors. Its the drivers used by the software you use to control PlayStation or Xbox controllers
May 05 2013ScpVBus.sysScarlet.Crush Productions Scp Dual Shock 3 Virtual Bus driver http://forums.pcsx2.net/

probably a new version of ICue, mines from 2021.
Feb 14 2020CorsairLLAccess64.sysCORSAIR iCUE Software driver

sultandevin

Prominent
Feb 6, 2021
You shouldn't be on version 3.60 of the bios, it says ASRock do NOT recommend updating this BIOS if Pinnacle, Raven or Summit Ridge CPU is being used on your system.
the first time i built this pc, the store employees said that my cpu was incompatible with the motherboard and it couldn't boot, so they had updated the bios for it, so the bios version is how it came from the store.

what WIFI card is it?
my usb wifi adapter is the TP-LINK TL-WN727N, i have 2 of these and switching between them, the crashes still persists, so that might be the issue. ah, and i also have a bluetooth usb dongle, might try taking that out.

probably a new version of ICue
as for corsair icue, in the software it says that firmware is up to date, so i might have to check the website for an update.

and i've also bought a new power supply, the corsair cx550m, it will arrive tomorrow, so in the meantime i'll try uninstalling and updating the drivers you mentioned.

sultandevin

Prominent
Feb 6, 2021
try using ethernet and see if it makes any difference
alright i'll try that later because the only ethernet cable in the house is being used.

is Icue version 3.38.61?
i don't remember the version, i just updated it to 4.11.274 from the corsair website directly.

i just tried playing without the usb wifi adapter (offline game), i also unplugged my bluetooth usb adapter too, i played for around an hour and no bsods, i exit the game, plugged in my usb wifi adapter and ps4 stick via usb, the pc freezes. not sure which one caused it, but this is the first time it has freezed outside of a game. this time no bsod, it hard freezes there, and i waited for a few minutes but no bsod and so i had to restart using the power button. i unplugged the ps4 stick, and moved my usb wifi adapter from the front panel connector to the motherboard directly, i turned the pc on, and all my usb devices weren't working (mouse, keyboard, etc), so i had to restart again, and everything was working fine.

next time i'll update on using ethernet directly.

sultandevin

Prominent
Feb 6, 2021
update : turns out that it was the power supply! switching with a new one solved all the problems i had before.

thanks everyone for helping me with my pc! really means a lot!

Status
Not open for further replies.