Question PC freezes and crashes after being idle ?

isak.walther

Honorable
Sep 29, 2017
Specs:
CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K
Ram: Corsair CMK16GX4M2Z3600C18 16GB DDR4 running at 3600MHz
GPU: Asus ROG Strix RTX 2060 Gaming OC (with the latest drivers from Nvidia installed)
PSU: Corsair AX860
Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F Gaming
OS: 64 bit Windows 10 running on an SSD, INTEL SSDSC2BW180A4
BIOS Version: 1802

Whenever I try to use my computer after it has been idle for a while it stops registering mouseclicks on anything on the desktop and any open programs, the desktop goes white and task manager doesn't open(not from Ctrl+Shift+Esc or Ctrl+Alt+Delete). Even the taskbar disappears but the desktop icons and mouse are still there, even though I can't do anything with them. This freeze or crash or whatever you want to call it can happen if I simply right click on my desktop right after it has been idle.

I have the default settings for the "High Performance" power setting on, so hibernation and power saving is set on "never" in the power options and the screen is set to turn off after 15 minutes (but but wether or not the screen is turned on shouldn't impact anything?). As I wrote in the specs I have BIOS version 1802, which is the latest BIOS version for my motherboard on ASUS's website that isn't a beta version. I updated yesterday from version 1502 hoping that maybe my problem would be solved but it was not. I've used Norton 360 to make a full PC scan and it found nothing. I also ran sfc /scannow in Powershell as an administrator and it concluded that nothing was wrong. I have even gone through every process in Task Manager multiple times and made sure that any program that shouldn't be there is gone (although there are a few ASUS processes left that I'm not sure if I can quit or not).

Don't know if this is relevant, but I have heard that USB devices can cause problems so I'll just list them. I have a Corsair Gaming Ironclaw RGB mouse, a Corsair Strafe RGB MK2 keyboard, a Logitech G Pro X Wireless Lightspeed headset, an Arozzi Sfera microphone and an old Logitech HD Webcam C270. For the Corsair products I have iCue installed and for the Logitech headset I have G Hub installed.

Any ideas for what more I could try? A fresh install of Windows 10 will be my last resort.

Lutfij

Titan
The SSD in your build seems to be really old. You sure that the SSD is on the latest firmware update and is not the part that's failing on you/your build? What version of Windows 10 are you currently on? As for the BIOS for your motherboard, you could try and use the latest BETA BIOS, see if that improves your experience. How old is the PSU in your build?

isak.walther

Honorable
Sep 29, 2017
The SSD in your build seems to be really old. You sure that the SSD is on the latest firmware update and is not the part that's failing on you/your build? What version of Windows 10 are you currently on? As for the BIOS for your motherboard, you could try and use the latest BETA BIOS, see if that improves your experience. How old is the PSU in your build?
I got the SSD used from my dad a while back and have never updated its firmware so it might be a bit old. As for the PSU, I think I got it in 2014 or something.

The Windows version I am currently using is 19043.1081. I had 19041.something yesterday but updated after seeing your comment in hopes that it would solve my problem, but it didn't.