Aug 30, 2020
Hello everybody, as stated in the title I am experiencing crashing and freezing on my PC.

I built my PC myself (Specs below) and it worked great for about half a year at which point I experienced my first freeze. It then took about a month for the next one, and then maybe another month. Then they started happening weekly, then daily until my PC kept freezing multiple times a day. I did ultimately manage to fix all the problems by updating my BIOS. This fixed all issues for about a month, but since a few days the problems keep reappearing. Here are a few more details:

What happens?
So I had 3 different issues that seem connected.
  • The PC video freezes. Audio usually keeps going for a while before it also stops. The PC becomes unresponsive
  • The PC just turns off and reboots
  • The PC cannot boot from sleep mode. After pressing a key it turns on the fans and the keyboard lights up but no video appears and the PC remains unresponsive
When does it happen?
Usually while doing something graphic intensive, such as playing a game on one monitor while watching a video on the second one. To date the game which crashed my PC the most was Battlefield 4.

What did I do to fix it?
I tried to the usual suspects, here is a list:
  • Update all drivers
  • Test RAM (No problems)
  • Run Furmark multiple times, for long times (No crashes, Temperature normal)
  • Stress test CPU (No problems, Temperature normal)
  • Reinstall windows
As explained, updating the BIOS fixed all issues for a while, but now they're back. I did not yet re-experience the booting issue.

My theories
Since my PC mostly had issues while doing graphic intensive work, I suspect either the GPU or PSU. I did not yet manage to test my PSU, if you have any ideas how to do that (without a voltmeter) please tell me.

The specs
Motherborard: Asus ROG Strix X470-F Gaming
PSU: EVGA 650 GQ, 80+ GOLD 650W
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 4
GPU: MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 2060 Super
Ram: Corsair VENGEANCELPX16GB
SSD: Crucial MX500
Case: Crystal Series 570X RGB ATX Mid-Tower

Has anybody got any ideas what could be going on here? I still have warranty on all components so I could easily replace them if necessary.

Thank you so much for your time!

EDIT: My PC crashed again today, but just before everything shut off I briefly heard the windows error sound. Don't know if that is important.

Last edited:
Solution
Only way is to stress test your pc with another gpu, gaming for a long period will do too

Boot problem: (i take it you mean the don't wake from sleep)
Yes as your pc i unable to "wake up" your GPU, which gives you this issue

(note: this can also be related to a bios version, i had this problem on my tomahak max untill i finally got an update that fixed it)
Aug 30, 2020
Going from the info you provided, your GPU is suspect, since it causes freezes
PSU problems are more likely to give you power cuts

Lend/steal/buy another GPU to test your system with

Hey there, thanks for the reply.

The problem is that the crashing is somewhat random, so just by chance it might not happen during the test time with a different GPU. Is there any way to test if it really is the GPU?

Also does a GPU error also explain the boot issues?

Only way is to stress test your pc with another gpu, gaming for a long period will do too

(note: this can also be related to a bios version, i had this problem on my tomahak max untill i finally got an update that fixed it)

Solution
Aug 30, 2020

Alright, will do, thank you.

Do you have any idea why the issue only started about after half a year after buying the GPU and also stayed quiet for about a month after updating the BIOS? Just curious

TRENDING THREADS