Question PC freezes and loses input while running demanding programs.

Simarty36

Commendable
Jul 24, 2019
I built my pc about three years ago and have had a problem where it would freeze while using programs such as Photoshop, Visual Studio, any video editing software, and sometimes even YouTube videos. On more rare occurrences this could even happen if I left my pc idle for too long even with nothing running. It would stop taking in any input like the mouse, keyboard, internet, etc., the clock would freeze, but any YouTube videos would keep playing perfectly until they ran out of buffering since the internet would disconnect. I get no BSOD, no errors in the reliability checker or event viewer. The only way I can get out of this is by pressing the restart button on my pc case. It's also notable that this has never happened while playing games including CSGO, Batman Arkham Knight, For Honor, Subnatica, Warzone, Apex Legends, etc.

I've monitored CPU, GPU, memory, and all other readings during the crashes and everything looks normal for the most part. My CPU and GPU usage will normally not be maxed out at 100% usage and be at good temps ~50°C-60°C. Memory will be good as well with only about 50% usage ~40°C and regular voltage. I have noticed that my SSD and HDD spike straight to 100% when this occurs even if they were at 0% usage a second before. I've scanned them with multiple checkers and their health is said to be okay. I disabled superfetch and some other services but no change.

My motherboard had overclocked my CPU out of the box to 3.8Ghz automatic voltage. I've tried setting it back to 3.6Ghz, underclocking it, overclocking it further, nothing. I've done the same with the memory but no results. I left my GPU with the factory overclock and nothing else.

I originally thought my memory was the problem because when I was building my pc the memory I used didn't work despite it being in working condition when I bought it so I had to get a replacement. I scanned it using the windows memory diagnostic. It said there was a hardware issue with the memory so I took it out and put it back in but then I was getting a beep code telling me my memory couldn't be recognized. I went to Memory Express and they tested everything out for me and said that the memory had gone bad so I got it replaced and everything is working fine and it passed the memory diagnostic but the freezing problem is still there so I've ruled out the possibility of memory being the problem.

I've reinstalled windows multiple times over the years as well as checked for corrupt files and everything has been fine but the problem persists. I've updated BIOS, updated all drivers, updated to the latest windows updates, disabled antivirus, nothing has solved the problem.

This problem is best shown by Visual Studio. I can only run it for about two minutes before it freezes everything. I've run games while playing youtube videos at the same time with my GPU and CPU reaching upwards of ~60°C-70°C with no problem which is why this confuses me. I've run Visual Studio on the most basic, old laptops and it doesn't crash, just runs very slow.

If anyone can help me out I would appreciate it!

My PC Specs:
CPU: Ryzen 3200G
CPU Cooler: Stock Ryzen Cooler
Mobo: Asus Prime B450M-A/CSM
Old Ram: Gskill Value Series 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 2666Mhz
New Ram: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200MHz
GPU: MSI RX 570 8GB Armor OC
SSD: Kingston A400 120GB (Windows Installation)
HDD: Seagate BarraCudea 1TB 7200RPM
Power Supply: Thermaltake Smart 600W 80+ Certified
Case: Thermaltake Versa H18

Last edited:

ASK THE COMMUNITY