[SOLVED] PC freezes and restarts when launching games

Nov 29, 2019
So I recently got a new GPU. RX570 - Asus Strix 4GB - Now, the problem I am having also happened once before a few months ago on my old GPU as well. It fixed itself though and now it's back. What's happening is that when I launch a game, the computer just Freezes and the screen goes black and then the computer restarts itself. Please note that since yesterday I have tried 4 different GPUs in the system, all having the same issue. Some games work somtimes and other don't. I have ran a stress test on the GPU too using Furmark and setting the timer to 15 minutes and those tests go just fine without any problems.

The complete system specs are:
Dell T3500
Intel Xeon X5690 @ 3.4Ghz (using this CPU since more then two years now and this has not been changed when the issue started happening)
DDR3 - 1333Mhz RAM. 4GBx2, 2GBx4 - Total RAM = 16GB
an SSD and 2 HDDs.
Asus Strix 570 4GB (earlier card giving the same issue a few months ago was RX460. Also tested RX560 and the same issue persists.)
Dell 525W PSU 80+Silver
2 front intake fans 140MM, 2 back outflow fans 80MM.
All of this running on Windows 10 1809 October 2019 update. Should add that it's been 2 years since a fresh Windows install and I have updated Windows several times with each feature update release.

What am I looking for here? What seems to be the problem? and yes, I have removed old GPU drivers using DDU and installed them fresh.

Solution
It's just a problem when launching the games.
That's why I'd be leaning towards the PSU - on top of that it is not a good quality PSU.
Random restarts often aren't software if it's a "random cut off". Is it just a complete cut of power?
If not it may be worth verifying you have BSOD enabled (can be seen in BSOD signature link below)

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Being as you have already replaced the GPU, I'd definitely be looking at:
Dell 525W PSU 80+Silver
I've yet to encounter a good quality Dell OEM PSU myself and once software/firmware has been eliminated, the point of cause typically goes:
PSU > GPU > RAM > MB> CPU.

In effect when a game is launched, you have a sudden power draw from the PSU to the GPU, which faulty PSUs or ones with hyper sensitive protections for example, this can cause either instability in that power delivery, and even cause the PSU to cut off entirely.

Have you also checked CPU and GPU temps under load?

Nov 29, 2019
Being as you have already replaced the GPU, I'd definitely be looking at:

I've yet to encounter a good quality Dell OEM PSU myself and once software/firmware has been eliminated, the point of cause typically goes:
PSU > GPU > RAM > MB> CPU.

In effect when a game is launched, you have a sudden power draw from the PSU to the GPU, which faulty PSUs or ones with hyper sensitive protections for example, this can cause either instability in that power delivery, and even cause the PSU to cut off entirely.

Have you also checked CPU and GPU temps under load?
That's the thing. I've ran an Aida64 stress on the CPU and GPU together and it ran fine for 15 minutes.

Temps for CPU under load are: 75c MAX
Temps for GPU under load are: 88c MAX

In an instance the game does start, the max temp of the CPU during actual game play is 81-82c.

But like I've said before. I've been through this issue on the previous GPU too but the issue resolved on its own.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
That's why I'd be leaning towards the PSU - on top of that it is not a good quality PSU.
Random restarts often aren't software if it's a "random cut off". Is it just a complete cut of power?
If not it may be worth verifying you have BSOD enabled (can be seen in BSOD signature link below)

Reactions: Trishabauer
Solution
Nov 29, 2019
Sorry, I had a bit of personal matter and wasn't around to get on here.

I was able to solve the problem. It was apparently driver related. I did a complete uninstall using DDU and turns out there was also some NVIDIA files present in the system from way before.

After removing all traces of old drivers and files. Did a clean install of the new drivers and everything works great. No power cutoff whatsoever.

Although, now a different system has a different problem. Hard drive related. The system is being used by my daughter. I'll make a separate post for that though.

Thanks for the help. Much appreciated.

Reactions: PC Tailor

TRENDING THREADS