Question PC freezes and then restarts, accompanied by a distorted audio loop ?

Mar 28, 2021
Hi,

So for many months now I have been having an issue where the displays will freeze, a distorted audio loop (if there was any audio playing at the time) can be heard from the output and the PC will restart itself, not during any of these crashes has the system given a BSOD. The crashes have occurred while playing games (even while under low GPU/CPU load) and sometimes simply chatting over discord or watching videos in browser. I have searched the forums since mid/late last year until now, as well as back and forth from the tech support of my PC distributor and have not been able to eliminate the problem.

The only thing I have been able to identify from the system event logs during the time of the crashes is a very consistent inclusion of FIleSystem Filter events being "successfully loaded" ('FileInfo', 'Wof' and 'vlflt' are listed 1-2 seconds before the Kernel-Power 41 event and then 'FIleCrypt', 'Gemma', 'atc' and 'npsvctrig' are listed at the same time as the Kernel-Power event) which are present in a lot of the forum posts I see with people crashing in similar ways and have tried every solution I could find suggested in those threads. The other consistent entry is a warning stating "The driver \Driver\WudfRd failed to load for the device HID\VID_0951&PID_16DF&MI_03&Col02\7&30363b0c&0&0001.".

I have done a large amount of troubleshooting around this particular issue and have exhausted all I can find in terms of fixes through software installs/uninstalls/reinstalls, driver updates/rollbacks for graphics card, sound, chipset. Have done a full windows reinstall several times, and have tested each time running minimal amount of driver updates including only updating my graphics card driver. I tried using only 1 monitor, tweaked settings in the BIOS to remove overclocking. I have also run the windows 10 debloater as suggested by threads from other people with similar issues. At one point the tech support from the distributor decided it might be a power supply fault, so I installed a new and higher wattage power supply which I had assumed fixed the issue as I went around a whole month before another crash occurred, but they have crept back in.

The reason I am reaching out to you guys now is that essentially the tech support have left me in the dust as they have after several months of me sending them results of drive health checks, error logs, temperature data and results from running GPU/CPU stress tests, decided that the issue is not hardware related and is therefore not their problem. They decided this after I sent them the following report from WhoCrashed:

Crash dump directories:
C:\Windows
C:\Windows\Minidump

On Wed 13/01/2021 05:31:18 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\011321-6218-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: nvlddmkm.sys (0xFFFFF8056A79E711)
Bugcheck code: 0x3B (0xC0000005, 0xFFFFF8056A79E711, 0xFFFFBE8C0224D3C0, 0x0)
Error: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
file path: C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nv_dispi.inf_amd64_5be8de9f3373beaf\nvlddmkm.sys
product: NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 461.92
company: NVIDIA Corporation
description: NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 461.92
Bug check description: This indicates that an exception happened while executing a routine that transitions from non-privileged code to privileged code.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: nvlddmkm.sys (NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 461.92 , NVIDIA Corporation).
Google query: nvlddmkm.sys NVIDIA Corporation SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION

On Wed 13/01/2021 05:31:18 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP
This was probably caused by the following module: nvlddmkm.sys (0xFFFFF8056A79E711)
Bugcheck code: 0x3B (0xC0000005, 0xFFFFF8056A79E711, 0xFFFFBE8C0224D3C0, 0x0)
Error: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
file path: C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nv_dispi.inf_amd64_5be8de9f3373beaf\nvlddmkm.sys
product: NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 461.92
company: NVIDIA Corporation
description: NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 461.92
Bug check description: This indicates that an exception happened while executing a routine that transitions from non-privileged code to privileged code.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: nvlddmkm.sys (NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 461.92 , NVIDIA Corporation).
Google query: nvlddmkm.sys NVIDIA Corporation SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION

Now this is all very well, but my PC has been crashing since around July of last year, and has crashed several times since the date that this crash dump was created, and from this dump alone they guided me to uninstall GPU driver with DDU and reinstall, and if that doesn't work to contact nvidia, which was obviously very helpful advice and totally not something I tried about 8 months ago.

My PC specs are as follows:

CPU: Intel i7-9700KF
GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 8GB
MOBO: : Asus Prime Z390-P: ATX
Memory: (2x8GB) DDR4/2400mhz Corsair Vengeance LPX
PSU: 850W EVGA SuperNOVA G3

Any help or advice you might have would be much appreciated and let me know if you have any questions that might help identify what is actually wrong with this PC!

ASK THE COMMUNITY