Question PC freezes but can still hear sound/Discord requires hard reset ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hankthunderskull

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2015
I have been having this issue a while and not sure what to do.

I play Hunt showdown a lot and it tends to freeze and show a frozen frame of earlier in the game. The sound continues and I can still hear and talk to my friends on discord shortly after. After a while they can no longer hear me but I can hear them.

The PC seems completely unresponsive and even the capslock on the keyboard doesn't light up.

I've noticed that it seems to happen when the weather is warm.

I repasted my cpu worried that may be the issue.

My GPU is quite old now gtx 970

Specs:
Ryzen 3900x
gtx 970
WD Blue SN550 1TB High-Performance M.2 Pcie NVMe SSD
ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB M.2 Gaming Solid State Drive
CORSAIR CMK32GX4M2E3200C16 VENGEANCE LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3200
MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS Motherboard
Corsair RM850 PSU

Oct 11, 2021
i have reinstalled my AMD drivers with DDU and even did a clean install of Windows with new drivers and my temps don't go higher than 60 -70

Here are my specs
CPU -AMD Ryzen 9 5900x
Motherboard - Asus Rog Crosshair VIII Hero
Memory- G.skill 8gb DDr4 3600
GPU-AMD Asus Rog Strix 16GB OC RX 6900XT
SSD 2x HP s700 1TB
1x Kingston SUV400 240gb
NVME Hikvision e2000r 1TB
Windows 11 latest Update
AMD drivers Latest as well

What I HAVE DONE
reinstalled windows ( clean )
did DDU and reinstalled drivers
changed ram slots
ran OCCT and pushed everything to the limit even getting temps up to 75 (usually even in extreme gaming i barely reach 70 ) and everything is fine
this did happen in windows 10 as well but i can go back to it if we think its windows 11
did some Registry edits that i found on the internet
Changed Daisy Chained Cables to 3 separate cables
Turned off Discord overlay
Turned of Hardware accel on both google and Spotify ,Cant turn it off on my Pc seems like my GPU is not supported yet
Done Benchmarks to max with no freeze

SYMPTOMS
AS OP has said PC Freezes while playing games i can still hear discord and such and it happens on almost any type of game ( Rimword ,GW2 ,oxygen not included ,BF 2042 )
i can restart my pc a few times and than it seems to be ok for the rest of the day other times i have to restart 5 times or if i switch from one game to another it causes it to freeze again

Jan 20, 2022
Hey Op, have you found any solutions?? I’m having the same issue now- it started out with just steam games but has evolved into a riot issue as well. This is driving me insane. The only things i have done are take the glass panel off of my chassis and opened a window (since it’s winter I’m hoping that it’s not a heat issue), as well as did a clean update of my drivers twice. Please lmk.

Status
Not open for further replies.