[SOLVED] Pc freezes, but only when actively used

JoshuaVH

Reputable
Jul 10, 2015
The pc can be left on the desktop without using it and it will not freeze. However as soon as I actively use the pc, it freezes within minutes.
(the way I have gotten my pc to freeze without fail is to start downloading something via qBittorrent.

I have switched out multiple HDD'S and it still freezes.

I have no idea where the problem could be. What are some steps I could take to identify the cause of the freezes?

Solution
A Google search of "L1C63x64.sys" shows many hits referring to a Qualcomm Atheros ethernet controller. Do you have this hardware? If so, first thing I would do is uninstall and reinstall the drivers.

t.ly/yKRb0

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Have you scanned your system for malware recently?

What are the specs for this system (make/model of all installed components)?

These sorts of issues are often heat and/or power related? How hot is your CPU and GPU getting at idle?

Are you overclocking anything (CPU, GPU, memory)?

JoshuaVH

Reputable
Jul 10, 2015
Have you scanned your system for malware recently?

What are the specs for this system (make/model of all installed components)?

These sorts of issues are often heat and/or power related? How hot is your CPU and GPU getting at idle?

Are you overclocking anything (CPU, GPU, memory)?

I have scanned the system and no malware was found.

My CPU and GPU are not getting hotter than 40-45 °C at idle.

I am neither overclocking the CPU nor the memory.

Specs:
CPU: AMD A10-7850K RadeonR7 3700 FM2+
Motherboard: Asro FM2A88M Extreme4+ A88X RG SM
RAM: Corsair Vengeance CMZ8GX3M2A1866C9B (2x 4GB)
GPU: Asus Radeon R9 270x 4GB
PSU: Cooler Master V550 Semi-Modular

JoshuaVH

Reputable
Jul 10, 2015
What about your storage devices? What do you have and how full are they?

Idle temps are a little high for devices at idle. Are you using the stock AMD CPU cooler? How old is your PSU?

In testing whether or not the problem lied with my storage device I have used a Seagate 1TB ST1000DX001 SSHD 7200 SA3 and a 1TB Seagate Barracuda. I have formatted both of them and installed fresh copies of windows on them while testing the freezing issue.

I am using the stock AMD CPU cooler and my PSU is about 4 years old.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
The TDP for the GPU is 180w. Your PSU is older, likely not producing its rated power output, and very likely the issue given the behavior described.

If you remove the R9 270X and use the integrated video controller, does the system work properly?

JoshuaVH

Reputable
Jul 10, 2015
The TDP for the GPU is 180w. Your PSU is older, likely not producing its rated power output, and very likely the issue given the behavior described.

If you remove the R9 270X and use the integrated video controller, does the system work properly?

I have tried this and my pc no longer freezes. However instead of a freeze I do get a BSOD now when using the pc (I am able to use it for a longer time than before I took out the GPU though)

Aug 7, 2018
A Google search of "L1C63x64.sys" shows many hits referring to a Qualcomm Atheros ethernet controller. Do you have this hardware? If so, first thing I would do is uninstall and reinstall the drivers.

t.ly/yKRb0

Solution

TRENDING THREADS