Question PC freezes/crashes after CPU/mobo upgrade

Insane Potatoz

Reputable
Sep 22, 2019
Hey Guys, It's been a while since I've posted on here but I recently upgraded my system and It's been having some weird crashes. Video is attached from imgur, so far it's only happened when I've played Overwatch, but the whole computer will freeze and sit frozen for a few seconds and then instantly shut all the way off. I've reinstalled windows, ran memory diagnostic, and ran a CPU stress test but haven't found anything. I used to have a Ryzen 5 3600 XT + B550 Extreme4 and have upgraded to these current specs:
CPU: Intel core i5-12600kf
RAM: 2x8gb OLOy owl RGB
Motherboard: ASRock Z690 Steel Legend
GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
PSU: Phanteks AMP 650w

Think it might be my power supply is too weak now? Let me know some troubleshooting steps please :)
Thank you guys

Lutfij

Titan
but I recently upgraded my system
What did you upgrade from, to?

We will be seeing two sets of specs. I'm curious to learn if you reinstalled the OS after a motherboard swap. If you didn't, that's what you need to do first, besides manually reinstalling all relevant drivers in an elevated command.

Those specs don't look right;
https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/evga-rtx-3080-ftw3.b7943

Last edited:

Insane Potatoz

Reputable
Sep 22, 2019
but I recently upgraded my system
What did you upgrade from, to?

We will be seeing two sets of specs. I'm curious to learn if you reinstalled the OS after a motherboard swap. If you didn't, that's what you need to do first, besides manually reinstalling all relevant drivers in an elevated command.
Upgraded from a B550 Extreme4 witha Ryzen 3600 XT to a Z690 Steel Legend with an 12600kf. Nothing else in the system was upgraded except the CPU and motherboard.
I reinstalled windows after the upgrade, yes, as well as the relevant drivers.

zinkles

Commendable
Aug 24, 2022
Hey Guys, It's been a while since I've posted on here but I recently upgraded my system and It's been having some weird crashes. Video is attached from imgur, so far it's only happened when I've played Overwatch, but the whole computer will freeze and sit frozen for a few seconds and then instantly shut all the way off. I've reinstalled windows, ran memory diagnostic, and ran a CPU stress test but haven't found anything. I used to have a Ryzen 5 3600 XT + B550 Extreme4 and have upgraded to these current specs:
CPU: Intel core i5-12600kf
RAM: 2x8gb OLOy owl RGB
Motherboard: ASRock Z690 Steel Legend

Think it might be my power supply is too weak now? Let me know some troubleshooting steps please :)
Thank you guys
It's most probably a power issue. You ran a CPU stress test, but not a GPU stress test, am i right? Run a GPU stress test and see if the same issue happens.

If it does, check your temps, specifically the GPU's.

If the temps are normal, then the PSU is probably the cause.

Reactions: Dark Lord of Tech