Question PC freezes during different scenarios and problems with monitors after restart.

May 13, 2019
Hi there.

My PC keeps freezing during different scenarios.

It happens when I am gaming Overwatch, Apex legends, Witcher 2 or 3. It freezes when there is a lot going on the screen, but it also happens when there isn't a lot going on as well. It has happened a few times when I watch YouTube videos, when I am scrolling through an article on the web, and when I was trying to log in to my profile after rebooting when the PC froze once. Additionally, my PC freezes when I plug or unplug the HDMI or VGA to my two monitors or vice versa. This includes the audio jack cable.

Almost every single time this happens, my monitors won't work until I either wait for a while or take these steps:

• Turn off the computer by pressing the power button.
  • Disconnect the HDMI or VGA, or both from the monitors.
  • Turn the computer on again without the monitors being connected.
  • Turn off the computer again with the power button.
  • Reconnect the HDMI or VGA, or both.
  • Turn the computer on again.
This doesn't necessarily happen every time though, since some times the PC will restart automatically and the monitors will work (or if I restart by pressing the restart button on the computer).

Sometimes when it freezes, the sound will still be there until it freezes completely after a few seconds. Sometimes I can even keep playing a bit since I hear the characters react to me using the keyboard or mouse.

I want to add that sometimes when I restart the computer after it's froze, the fans will work harder and make more noise, and it's coming from the GPU if I am not mistaken. I haven't found out how long they keep going like that since my monitors won't work and I don't have the patience to wait.

I've had this computer since November 2015, and it has froze on occasion during the years but now I can't play unless I play less demanding games it seems. This has been a relatively consistent problem for the last 7-8 months.

I have tried to:

1. Formatting my computer.
  2. Plugging the PSU directly to the wall socket.
  3. Use only one monitor.
  4. Turning down the graphics settings when I play games.
  5. Update all drivers, but they are up to date according to windows (I haven't tried it directly from the web except when I tried once to reinstall the driver for the GPU).
All my fans are working and I've used MSI afterburner to check if the GPU was overheating. I played Witcher 3 with 'High settings' and the GPU temp was around 65-70°C and GPU usage was around 70-90% usage.

I really need help since I am terrible at this and I feel like am looking for a needle in a haystack.

Specs:

Motherboard: MSI Z170A PC MATE

GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 Gaming 4GB

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700 Skylake

PSU: Corsair CX 600M, 600W PSU

RAM: Crucial DDR4 2133MHz 8GB (2x4GB)

Monitor 1: Samsung 27" LED Curved S27E500C 1920x1080

Monitor 2: Samsung 27" LED Curved C27F396 1920x1080

T_T

Distinguished
RAM manually configured to spec? Meaning, did you go into the BIOS/UEFI to force operation of timing, voltage, and frequency? Have you tried safe mode (hold Shift before clicking Restart to open the troubleshooting menu) or enable the F8 by opening Command Prompt (admin) and entering bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy?

May 13, 2019
I manually configured the timing, voltage and frequency since it was set on auto, but it didn't work. I can't encounter the problem in safe mode since I can't play the games, and don't know if F8 can help my computer from freezing during gameplay.

I am suspecting that that my gpu, cpu or psu or other components might be faulty, but I could be wrong though..

ASK THE COMMUNITY