Pc Freezes during games...and sometimes videos...

brollyjin

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012
Hello everyone...
I'm new to this forum....and i'am having a very common problem which many gamers like me faces....i:e,pc freezes while playing games....

My pc doesnt freeze while performing normal functions like browsing the net,playing songs,and other basic functions....but it freezes while i'm playing games....Saints Row 3 and Tekken 5(i was able to play these games without any problems a month ago for hours)..it started freezing 3 days ago....

Sometimes it also freezes during video playback....

I have opened the cabinet,and cleaned everything....the gpu,processor,motherboard,ram.....I have a 450w smps which i bought in 2 months ago...so i dont think there's any need to clean it...i have also reattached all the wires...but nothing works....it still freezes during gameplay....

i used msi afterburner to check the temp...

these were the readings when pc freezed while playing tekken 5 in windowed mode...

GPU temp Min:38 Max:44
Fan Speed Min:100 Max:100
Core Clock Min:550MHz Max:550MHz
Shader Clock Min:1400MHz Max:1400MHz
Memory Clock Min:500MHz Max:500MHz

The same problem happened to me a month ago...reinstalling os fixed it,and i was able to play as long as i want without pc freezing....after that i went to my hometown for 25 days and my pc remained unused...when i returned and started playing games,it began freezing...i reinstalled os 3 times,but the problem still persists....

Yesterday,me and my friend were playing tekken 5 for 1 and half hour and it didnt freeze...but today,i'm able to play for just 10 minutes and it freezes,whether i play tekken 5 or Saints Row3...

I havent overclocked anything,Msi Afterburner settings are set to their defaults,as i dont know much about tweaking them...

My Specs are:

Intel Motherboard DG41RQ1
2gb ddr2 ram
Nvidia GeForce 9400GT 1 GB
450w smps
Intel Core 2 duo processor E7500 2.93GHz

I have installed latest drivers for Nvidia....

Please help in fixing this problem...unable to play games is very frustrating for me....I want everything back to normal.like it was before...

Thanx.....

aviconus

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2011
After taking a quick look at the system requirements I am suprised that the games run at all. You BARELY meet the specs to play Tekken 5. As for SR3, It requires at least GTS 250 or Radeon 5670. Had your computer updated at all before the freezes started? I would be suspecting your 6 year old Processor, or your GPU. All in all, I would start considering upgrading everything. 2MB Ram was the minimum 5 years ago. Now you are looking @ 4MB. And unless you plan on playing Tekken 5 and SR3 forever, I wouldn't think to much on buying any current games, or future games. good luck!

brollyjin

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012

These are the readings i took using speedfan when pc freezed again....

GPU 43c
System 35c
CPU 62c
Aux 42c
Hd0 30c
Core0 78c
Core1 73c
Core 43c

brollyjin

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012

Yeah,i know these are low requirements,but my friend has the same specs as me....and he was able to play SR3 without any problems....and he uses windows 7,whereas i use Xp pro Sp2....
He has played many games such as Battlefield 3,SR3,Modern Warfare 3,AC:Revelations,and other high requirements game with the same specs as mine without any freezing problem...