PC freezes during graphically intensive games

tacostand69

Reputable
Jul 8, 2015
my PC freezes (not crashes) during graphically intensive games and i have to manually restart my computer and i can still hear sounds like people in discord. its happened in Witcher 3, monster hunter world, middle earth shadow of war, PUBG, ARK, Dying Light, Just Cause 3, BF4 and 1, Dishonored 2 and others.

i've run memtest and that says no problems with the RAM, the gpu is a relatively new 1080, the cpu is an 15 4690K cooled with water cooling. i don't go over 70c on either the GPU or CPU either. so i was wondering what could be causing this as i cant figure out how to fix it. i can play other games fine but if they are newer and harder to run they seem to freeze my pc.
my PSU is an EVGA Supernove G2 gold 750W.

Solution
So, you have good PSU and apparently no overheating.

That leaves only 2 potential things:

1) driver issues (less likely)
2) overclock stability issues (more likely)

In short: try to either lower the overclock (I'd try with that first) or slightly increase voltage on CPU for stability. Watch out not to exceed recommended limits.
So, you have good PSU and apparently no overheating.

That leaves only 2 potential things:

1) driver issues (less likely)
2) overclock stability issues (more likely)

In short: try to either lower the overclock (I'd try with that first) or slightly increase voltage on CPU for stability. Watch out not to exceed recommended limits.

Solution