PC freezes every few seconds: could it be a graphics card issue?

schaf

Prominent
Oct 19, 2017
For a week my pc is freezing every few seconds, then going black for a moment afterwards before it comes back to normal and doing this all over again. It is really annoying and working or gaming is not possible at all. It kicks me out of games like League of Legends, but not the client.

In detail: Whenever I want to open any programm or press anything, my pc starts to act weird. It freezes for around 5 seconds, then the screen goes black for just a moment before I can do anything again. Sometimes, especially when I use the internet, it will freeze right after it blacked out again. Usually when I do nothing at all, e.g. like letting a download happen without using my mouse or keyboard, it does not occur. Also, when I start my pc in safe mode, it does not happen.

I have looked up on the internet what the reasons could be, but I have not found any solutions yet unfortunately. What I have tried is:
-looking for any processes in the task manager that could be the reason
-deactivating all unneccessary start-up processes
-checking for a virus and stuff
-uninstalling my anti-virus programm (since it seems that a lot of people had problems with it)
-uninstalling the game where it first occured (World of Warcraft)
-updating the driver of my graphics card, cause I have played the game with the old driver
-checking in task manager if my CPU and RAM are ok, but they are between 0-13%; the data carrier though can get from its 0-17% randomly to 100%. It does not stay long at 100% and I am not experienced enough to judge if it is a problem or not either.
-setting up my pc again: Unfortunately it did not work. Started to freeze and black out again right at choosing the first settings.

Additionally, as I have been writing this, my pc shut down randomly telling that a problem occured, underneath of that saying: VIDEO_(3 letters, cannot remember exactly, but something like TDL)_FAILURE.
Also when I start the pc, a message is popping up, saying something like: graphics hardware access blocked for this application. (I translated that from German, so it might not be 100% correct)

So it is natural to think that my graphics card could have problem. I just do not know, what excatly could be the reason for it. I am using NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950 and Windows 10.

(If you need any more hardware/software information, just tell me. )

Solution
check your RAM with memtest.org. use the usb autoinstaller and boot from the USB flash drive

check the hdd/SSD with its manufacturer´s tool

check temperature of the CPU and GPU

Which hardware is installed? CPU, RAM, motherboard, power supply, HDD/SSD,...

Which operating system?
check your RAM with memtest.org. use the usb autoinstaller and boot from the USB flash drive

check the hdd/SSD with its manufacturer´s tool

check temperature of the CPU and GPU

Which hardware is installed? CPU, RAM, motherboard, power supply, HDD/SSD,...

Which operating system?

Solution