[SOLVED] PC freezes for 2-3 seconds then continues

OMGitsMoha

Prominent
Aug 13, 2019
Hello there,

So a few days ago I got this annoying problem where the PC freezes for 2-3 seconds then resumes, I believe it's an HDD problem since when I used some programs that test the HDDs, there were bad sectors or something like that as shown in the picture, this program shows that the performance is at 100% but health is at 76%, If anyone can help me, I'd be really happy.

Solution
Also can an OS reinstall help fix the problem?
Unlikely, it may help in the short term but the problem will eventually return.

Try the followings:

1) Analyse your Disk using 'Defragment and Optimise Disk' provided by your Window OS. Then Defragment it if result is above 10%. I recommend scheduling this to do regular defrag on HDDs.

2) Check Task Manager, click on 'Disk' and see what processes and applications are using it most. Check if Windows Update is downloading anything or not.

3) Backup your data to cloud or external drive. Your HDD may be dying.

4) Buy a new HDD if possible. Then replace old one.

Lutfij

Titan
Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

include the version of your OS if you're on Windows 10 and the BISO version for your motherboard. Also, include the age of the PSU apart from it's make and model.

As for your concern about the HDD, you're advised to use the app's that are meant for the HDD...for example Seagate need SeaTools to perform deep scans on the disk. WD app's tend to do a number on them and report erroneously, which is why I'm wondering what app you used to scan your disks.

I can't see any pictures. Might want to host your images on Imgur and then parse the link to them here.

OMGitsMoha

Prominent
Aug 13, 2019
At the moment, I don't have access to my PC but I will try to clear everything.

CPU: i5 4690
RAM: 8GB DRR3
GPU: GTX 1050
HDD: some brand (I don't really know it since the HDD is 8 years old according to Hard Disk Sentinel)
SSD: WD 500Gb
Motherboard: I think MSI gaming z87 or z97, I'm not sure
PSU: Thermaltake 500W (1-year-old)

As for the HDD, I used many apps including disk checkup, Hard Disk Sentinel, Burnintest, etc because I don't know my HDD model.

On hard disk sentinel, it shows the HDD is at 100% performance but 76% health and it's 8 years old, it shows also there are bad sectors even on the other software, I saw on the official website of Hard disk sentinel that you can do (Reinitialize Disk Surface) and it might fix the HDD, like the HDD will be at perfect health and stuff, so I'm not sure.

perrynick17

Commendable
BANNED
Dec 30, 2018
you can use the command line as an admin to fix this start with chkdsk /r and enter y for yes to start disk checking on next boot could take some time to finish, run chkdsk /f after that same thing but shorter, next run DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth from the comand line as admin this will rebuild your image data base, then run sfc /scannow this will work on the repairs to the OS

chaoyang

Reputable
Oct 24, 2019
Also can an OS reinstall help fix the problem?
Unlikely, it may help in the short term but the problem will eventually return.

Try the followings:

1) Analyse your Disk using 'Defragment and Optimise Disk' provided by your Window OS. Then Defragment it if result is above 10%. I recommend scheduling this to do regular defrag on HDDs.

2) Check Task Manager, click on 'Disk' and see what processes and applications are using it most. Check if Windows Update is downloading anything or not.

3) Backup your data to cloud or external drive. Your HDD may be dying.

4) Buy a new HDD if possible. Then replace old one.

Solution