Question PC freezes for 4 seconds, shuts off, restarts, and shows no display

sethduncan17

Prominent
Jan 12, 2019
So I bought a new gigabyte G1 Geforce GTX 1060 6gb graphics card, and recently problems have started occuring. First of all, when I boot my pc after it turns off, there is no display, and I have to unplug and replug my dvi cable back into the gpu for it to turn on ( ive tried other cables but to no avail ). Just recently I've noticed that my pc would freeze for about 5 seconds, and it would shut off, restart, and then have no display. I would then have to turn it off, unplug and replug the dvi, and it would turn back on. I really need somebodys help and anything would be appreciated.

SPECS:

CPU: Intel Core i7 2600 @ 3.40GHz Sandy Bridge 32nm Technology
RAM: 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz
MOBO: Dell Inc. 0GDG8Y
STORAGE:
223GB KINGSTON SA400S37240G ATA Device (SATA-2 (SSD))
931GB TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 ATA Device (SATA )
PSU: EVGA 600W WHITE 80+

sethduncan17

Prominent
Jan 12, 2019
Quick update, I woke up today and my display wouldn’t turn on no matter how many times I unplugged it and plugged the dvi back in, I tried reseating it, and still nothing. So I put my old gt 640 in and still no display when connected to monitor. I tried plugging in a hdmi from my motherboard to monitor and it worked. Any suggestions?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Have you used a different dvi cable? 2 different gpus, same issue, same port, usually means either cable failure or monitor port failure.

I've seen a shorted out USB cable on a USB keyboard constantly trip the psu short circuit protection circuitry.

sethduncan17

Prominent
Jan 12, 2019
Have you used a different dvi cable? 2 different gpus, same issue, same port, usually means either cable failure or monitor port failure.

I've seen a shorted out USB cable on a USB keyboard constantly trip the psu short circuit protection circuitry.
I tried using my brothers monitor with hdmi and dvi but still there was nothing

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Yes. Gpus in general don't use much power at all. It's only when the gpu is Punished with high detail graphics that you get the massive power draws. You can watch a 4k video all day on a regular igpu.

So for testing purposes, anything above @ 250w is good.

sethduncan17

Prominent
Jan 12, 2019
That is OK for testing. You want to know whether it powers on and works or not. You don't want to run a torture test on it. A 1060 is power-efficient and as long as you don't run a game or a torture-test that PSU can handle it.
When I turn it on the fans spin so could it be the psu is holding it back from displaying?

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
I suggest you go through this guide:

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
OK then.

A suggestion though. Get rid of that PSU as soon as possible and get a good quality one. Even if you're running a GTX 1050 or a GTX 1060.

Set your Windows to drop minidumps and if you have BSODs upload the dump files somewhere and post the links here so we can have a look.

sethduncan17

Prominent
Jan 12, 2019
OK then.

A suggestion though. Get rid of that PSU as soon as possible and get a good quality one. Even if you're running a GTX 1050 or a GTX 1060.

Set your Windows to drop minidumps and if you have BSODs upload the dump files somewhere and post the links here so we can have a look.
I haven’t got any BSODs, could it have been my gpu was just broken? I bought it from eBay for a low price

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
I haven’t got any BSODs, could it have been my gpu was just broken? I bought it from eBay for a low price

Yes it could have been. You replaced it with another card and the replacement worked.

You didn't mention that earlier that it was a cheap purchase (basically used card) from eBay. It might have been faulty and that's why the previous owner decided to sell it cheaper.

You said you "bought a new Gigabyte GTX 1060 6GB". Maybe you meant "new" as in it's a new card in your system but it also sounds to us like it was a brand new card.