PC freezes for a few seconds with buzzing sound when playing games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eoco

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
Hey guys,

I built my PC yesterday, and everything seemed to be running fine until today.

When playing games, the computer freezes and a buzzing sound comes out the headphones (the buzzing is the last few milliseconds of sound played over and over again, I think), and after a few seconds the game continues.

The freezes happen in groups, it seems. Every 0.5-1 hours, the freeze and buzzing will occur for about 2 to 3 seconds, with one every 5 minutes.

Any idea what could be causing this? Any information you guys need (e.g. dxdiag, specs etc.)?

banthracis

Distinguished
You should list full system specs and whether or not you have an OC

Most to least likely assuming no OC:

1. Make sure all drivers are up to date.
2. Check temps using realtemps, HW monitor or some something else along those lines.
3. Check RAM stability. So, make sure timings and v set to manf specs in BIOS and run memtest for at least 8 passes.

Eoco

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
Specs:

P8P67 Deluxe
i5 2500k with no OC
Asus DirectCU II GTX 570
8GB (2x4GB) g.skill RAM
Corsair HX650 PSU
1TB WD Caviar black
Samsung SH-S223C

I was checking temps while playing and they were about 65 degrees C on each core. Currently, during browsing they are at around 43 degrees C.

I went into the BIOS to set the memory timings and voltage I set it to 1333MHz (which is wasn't on for some reason), and set the voltage to 1.5V, as per g.skill's specs.

I had a bit of trouble with the memory timings, though. The timings are 9-9-9-24-2N. I set the 9-9-9-24 correctly, but I didn't see a place to set the 2N, so I simply set the COMMAND MODE as 2, rather than 2N. Here's a screenshot of the UEFI I'm using (though these aren't my settings). http://www.legitreviews.com/images/reviews/1500/p8p67_deluxe_bios_7.jpg . I left the secondary and tertiary timings as auto. So using that screenshot, I have my timings as 9-9-9-24-2, as you go down the lines in the screen.

Eoco

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011

Graphics card is up to date. I will check mobo and sound.

Eoco

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
After setting better RAM timings, and updating a bunch of drivers, the issue seems to be fixed, but only time will tell really.

rage690

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2013

the computer froze

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS