Question PC freezes halfway through Windows XP install ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wishbone1

Commendable
May 23, 2021
The PC freezes halfway through trying to install XP. I am using a PS/2 keyboard and that stops working to.
The board is Gigabyte P55-UD3 & CPU is an i5-750. Keyboard and Mouse lights go out.

Any suggestions anyone can give me? The board is a bit warped but from what i have read elsewhere on the web even new boards can be warped:oops:

The only thing i can think of , is there anything i can do in the settings to stop it freezing?

Last edited by a moderator:

Cj-tech

Admirable
Jan 27, 2021
The PC freezes halfway through trying to install XP. I am using a PS/2 keyboard and that stops working to.
The board is Gigabyte P55 -UD3 CPU I5 750. Keyboard and Mouse lights go out.

Any suggestions anyone can give me? The board is a bit warped but from what i have read elsewhere on the web even new boards can be warped:oops:

The only thing i can think of , is there anything i can do in the settings to stop it freezing?

I wouldn’t count on a “warped” motherboard working based off something you read online. Did the system work previously? Can you install modern operating systems on it? What are the full specs?

Wishbone1

Commendable
May 23, 2021
I wouldn’t count on a “warped” motherboard working based off something you read online. Did the system work previously? Can you install modern operating systems on it? What are the full specs?
Ir was on Linus tech tips site Quote
*Many boards have a little warp to them, some cases don't exactly have a perfectly flat mounting surface either. I've had to adjust standoffs just to get things to mount before.* I don,t beleave everything i see on line but a few people on that site said the same thing.I got the board for a few pounds at a local market so can,t say if it worked before that.I am amazed it got to the point it did.I got four other boards that don,t get to the point of showing anything on the Monitor.It just has basic Ram .GPU Geforce 7600 fan does not spin on the GPU.

Last edited:
To make the prospect worse : most (actual every) motherboards produced is put together in multiple layers of PCB, so even with a decent multimeter, you aren't able to test the condition of the physical traces.

A bent mainboard - assuming that is what you means by "warped" (please explain to a non-English if I misunderstand this) is quite a bad sign, because:
  • The PCB board itself is often way softer than the ports and bigger chips soldered onto it, so that the mechanical stress is being focused around corners of the more rigid parts.
  • The solder joints are by it's nature very fragile and is weak in order to withstand changes in mechanical load and temperatures in the long term. A bent PCB will be exposed to more of this stress compared to a PCB board that is being mounted properly when first installed.

Wishbone1

Commendable
May 23, 2021
To make the prospect worse : most (actual every) motherboards produced is put together in multiple layers of PCB, so even with a decent multimeter, you aren't able to test the condition of the physical traces.

A bent mainboard - assuming that is what you means by "warped" (please explain to a non-English if I misunderstand this) is quite a bad sign, because:
  • The PCB board itself is often way softer than the ports and bigger chips soldered onto it, so that the mechanical stress is being focused around corners of the more rigid parts.
  • The solder joints are by it's nature very fragile and is weak in order to withstand changes in mechanical load and temperatures in the long term. A bent PCB will be exposed to more of this stress compared to a PCB board that is being mounted properly when first installed.
Unfoutunatly i can,t put a picture of it on here.What i mean is it does not lay flat on the box.

Last edited:

Wishbone1

Commendable
May 23, 2021
Then there is no way of knowing what may be broken.
And without that, no way to know how to "fix it".
On another Tech site someone had a simuler problem,a person answerd and said it could be a over heating problem.It can,t be that becayse i am not using it in a case.The other thing the person mentiond was about thermal paste on the CPU i could check that,but i am sure i put enough on there.

USAFRet

Titan
On another Tech site someone had a simuler problem,a person answerd and said it could be a over heating problem.It can,t be that becayse i am not using it in a case.The other thing the person mentiond was about thermal paste on the CPU i could check that,but i am sure i put enough on there.
It could be any of a hundred things.

it could be a over heating problem.It can,t be that becayse i am not using it in a case.
That doesn't mean anything, if the CPU cooler is faulty or just not strong enough for the full speed of the CPU then the CPU will overheat.

The other thing the person mentiond was about thermal paste on the CPU i could check that,but i am sure i put enough on there.
Enough, or maybe too much?!
Too much will cause bad things to happen and can cause overheat as well.

Also tell people the exact point at which it freezes since that's the only clue you can give them.
If it is during writing stuff to the disk it could be caused by the disk or ram, if it happens when the resolution changes from "DOS" to higher it could be the GPU.

Wishbone1

Commendable
May 23, 2021
Hello!

You could try installing Windows 10 or 11.
If that works, then you'll know that your motherboard is functional.
I was going to try Windows 10 i would not try Windows 11 on it ,it is an old board.I do have Windows 10 on Easy2Boot i will try to get XP on there.

Reactions: Endre

Wishbone1

Commendable
May 23, 2021
I was going to try Windows 10 i would not try Windows 11 on it ,it is an old board.
XP x86 or x64?
Have you tried the same CD on other PC? To make sure the CD is not bad.
No i haven,t but it comes from a good source *Get into PC* it is not the moded one that was released a few years back there is to much new stuff on that ,This one is the old school one.The origanal ones are the best.I have used this version before but i lost it so downloaded it again and got it on disk.

Wishbone1

Commendable
May 23, 2021
That doesn't mean anything, if the CPU cooler is faulty or just not strong enough for the full speed of the CPU then the CPU will overheat.

Enough, or maybe too much?!
Too much will cause bad things to happen and can cause overheat as well.

Also tell people the exact point at which it freezes since that's the only clue you can give them.
If it is during writing stuff to the disk it could be caused by the disk or ram, if it happens when the resolution changes from "DOS" to higher it could be the GPU.
It gets to half way mark to get XP on there keyboard and mouse go out and i am using a ps2 keyboard.I don,t have another CPU from that socket 1156 to try.The Heatsink Fan is AkASA .the CPU is a i5 750.

Wishbone1

Commendable
May 23, 2021
Yes.
The minimum requirements & TPM 2.0 would be too much for that PC.
It was hard enough getting TPM 2.0 and secue boot on my RYZEN PC
I have have just been watching the exhalant Phil,s computer Lab.He was saying the the latest Easy2Boot no longer wotks with XP.So he uses an older version.of it..

Endre

Reputable
It was hard enough getting TPM 2.0 and secue boot on my RYZEN PC
I have have just been watching the exhalant Phil,s computer Lab.He was saying the the latest Easy2Boot no longer wotks with XP.So he uses an older version.of it..
Yeah.
And things are going to move forward again.
CPUs with NPU (neural processing unit) for AI driven software, TPM 3.0, Windows 12 - They are all coming.
The PCs of 2025-2029 will be at another level.

we3fan

Reputable
Apr 25, 2020
I am sure the source and the contents are good.
Sometimes very rarely during the CD-creation process it might have a slight failure, or the CD itself is scratched or has minor fault.
I would check the same CD on other PC, see if the same happens, to be sure.
Or try the same CD on same PC but with other Optical Drive.
Is it Win XP 32-bit or 64-bit?
And I think it would help to show a picture of the moment it freezes.

Wishbone1

Commendable
May 23, 2021
I am sure the source and the contents are good.
Sometimes very rarely during the CD-creation process it might have a slight failure, or the CD itself is scratched or has minor fault.
I would check the same CD on other PC, see if the same happens, to be sure.
Or try the same CD on same PC but with other Optical Drive.
Is it Win XP 32-bit or 64-bit?
And I think it would help to show a picture of the moment it freezes.
I don,t think the motherboard is going to go any futher ,it is just one of thouse things.It is the nearest i have got to a board that gets this farThe other three boards only got to the point getting a one buz about the ram nothing with the other two boards.Two of them just had the fans spinning ,And the thitd oner kept ont tutning off and on.I will have to get some test equipment i don,t gave aby at present..These boards only cost up to £5 so still gpt the CPU,s and Ram.So i have not lost abything.I have tried all of them quite a few times.Doing the useal basic stuff with the Ram CMOS battery PSU .As regaurds showing pictures on here i would like to but i was told you can,t on here.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.