PC freezes in the middle of games?

Will Willer

Honorable
May 13, 2013
Hey guys so I rebuilt my pc a while ago (a few years) and recently, it has been freezing in the middle of games recently. Some context: I have the fans spinning, and when it freezes, it seems like the fan speed locks. I can't tab out or anything after the freezing, but a ctrl+alt+delete and signing out and logging back in fixes it every time. I do have a hyper212 on the CPU so I'm pretty sure that there's no problem with CPU heat but I'll check on that. The "stock" fan curve let the gpu get too hot, so I made a different one that kicked in way earlier. I don't think heat is an issue with the GPU either. If it matters, I did give up and try resetting my computer (all I kept were my personal files), but it didn't help. I also just played for like an hour and tabbed out of the game after like 30 minutes, no freezing. That's the first time trying that though. Any ideas would be dope. I have:
i5-6600k
16 gigs of RAM (It says it's all there)
GTX 970
Windows 10

Will Willer

Honorable
May 13, 2013
we gottem bois.
I switched pci slots and I guess it was the fact that the gpu fans were too close to the psu. It wasn't the same game that I tried it with, but it didn't freeze up