PC freezes, mouse and keyboard don't respond

sammytheman

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2009
Hi guys, lately my PC acts really strange. It freezes, and sometimes when I wake it from sleep mode, the monitor light just blinks on and off but the monitor itself does not come on. I look at my mouse and keyboard, which are illuminated and notice there is no light meaning they are not detected by my tower. I try many ports and still no response. I reboot my PC a few times, then it works. I have never ever had this kind of issue before. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Here are my specs:

X6 1055T Thuban 2.8GHz Socket AM3

GIGABYTE GA-890FXA-UD5 AM3 AMD 890FX SATA 6Gb/s

G.SKILL F3-12800CL6D-4GBPI Pi Series 4GB 2X2GB DDR3-1600 CL6-8-6-24

Coolermaster Silent Pro 1000W SLI ATX12V 24PIN Active PFC PCI-E 135mm Fan

Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus

Antec 1200 case

ps I have win7 32 bit OS

sammytheman

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2009
No don't get any errors this time and right now I woke my PC from sleep and FROZE. I couldn't log into windows. So I did a hard reset.

At this point I am thinking of doing an OS re-install BUT I am so far in Crysis 2. I would have to play it again from beginning :(

Here are some steps to try. You can try them one at a time to see if you can pin it down.

Insert the OS disc-->start-->run-->type sfc /scannow.

Check for updated drivers.

Remove the side of the tower, to reduce heat buildup.

Look for a BIOS update.

kevinbw

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2011
I'm seeing the same problem on my Gigabyte computes.

I've got 12 PC running various flavors of Windows and strangly enought, only the two with Gigabyte motherboards are freezing.

On one computer, I'm running Windows Ultimate 32-bit with dual boot to 64-bit. Both O/S'es freeze randomly. On the other Gigabyte computer I'm running dual boot with Windows Ultimate 64-bit and Windows XP Pro 32-bit.

Oddly, these freezes just recently started happening. Around the November, December time frame. They happen in all versions of the O/S's mentioned above. This leads me to believe that Microsoft has introduced an update that is incompatible with my Gigabyte MBs.

I've disabled the power options so that the computer uses maximum power all the time and that seems to lessen the freezes that occur when idle. However, sometimes while actively browing the internet the mouse will freeze and within a few seconds the computer is totally unresponsive.

sammytheman

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2009
Ok so I go to Gygabyte's site to get a BIOS update but there are different revisions like 2.1, 3.0 and so on. How do I know which revision of the motherboard I have?

This is my mobo: GA-890FXA-UD5

sammytheman

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2009
OK I found it. I re-installed a fresh copy of Vista. Same sh*t is happening. How safe is BIOS update? I have never done it before. If this does not work, I am going to call Gigabyte and give them some verbal abuse :mad:

sammytheman

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2009
Ok so I update my BIOS and it still freezes. I did hard reset and it would freeze at the main page showing my motherboard specs. POwered off the system and turned it on and again, it will not go past the initial screen. Eventually after several resets, it worked. Is there a software I can use to test my mobo like memtest?

Have you checked the event viewer for errors? The pics you linked when I asked before, aren't from the event viewer. Your system may be logging errors.

No, I'm not aware of any software that will test the motherboard.

You can try running in safe mode for a while, and see if you get the same issues there. If not, it would likely point to a driver issue.

sammytheman

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2009
This is what I find in event viewer. Please guide me what to look for here because the instructions from the website I found does not help :(

Here is the pic:

http://imageshack.us/f/31/pcfreeze.jpg/

Look at the Application logs, and the System logs. You want to look for red X's. I can see a couple in your picture, but they are covered by another window. You want to remember the time when it froze, and match that up with the time of the errors in the event viewer.

Once you find the error that was generated at the time of the freeze, look at the Event ID, source, and the description.

sammytheman

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2009
The red X's are from a website that tells you what to do. That is not my window. My window in the one on the foreground. Here is a more clear picture. I don't see any red Xs

http://imageshack.us/f/585/21145864.jpg/

Are there any errors in the "System" section?

The particular error you've selected in that image above, is pointing to the game Witcher 2. You may need to uninstall the game. However, you should check the "System" section to see if that error is a symptom of a bigger issue.

sammytheman

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2009

Ok I think it is my motherboard. I will not buy anything from Gigabyte anymore!!!!!!. While browsing, my internet disconnected. I look at the bottom right hand corner next to the 2 computers and see there is an X. I go to device manager and look in Network Adapters and notice that "Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller" has an exclamation mark. So, I put in my Gigabyte CD in and repair "Realtek 8111/8168 LAN driver" and finally I get my internet back.

Is there a way to get my mobo replaced?

mlflee121t

Honorable
Aug 24, 2012

I have been going thru this problem on and off for a year. I would be doing work and suddenly the PC would not respond to either the keyboard or mouse. I would just simply reboot the machine. This week, rebooting didn't work. The solution was to use another keyboard. Good luck.

NST CCTV

Honorable
Apr 25, 2013
1. What is your hard drive(s) make and model? I had similar issues that the WD Green drives were causing issues. Replaced and the problem went away. Especially coming back from hibernation or monitors being off overnight and turning on in the morning causing a lockup.
2. Can you run HWINFO and do a sensor monitor. Check CPU temp and Chipset temp. Usually the chipset temp should be higher than CPU temp. Other machines that had problems the CPU temp was 15-20 degrees higher than Chipset. If you have a Gigabyte Motherboard, try going into BIOS and Disable CPU Smart Fan under System Health. This kicks the fan to 100% Monitor for a few days. If it works then replace fan and thermal paste
3. Antivirus. Disable automatic update of anti-virus and schedule it to a specific time of day. Determine if lockup happens at that time. AV updates seem to take up heavy resources.

Please report back as Im curious to see what you find

TRENDING THREADS