PC freezes, mouse and keyboard don't respond

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sammytheman

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2009
Hi guys, lately my PC acts really strange. It freezes, and sometimes when I wake it from sleep mode, the monitor light just blinks on and off but the monitor itself does not come on. I look at my mouse and keyboard, which are illuminated and notice there is no light meaning they are not detected by my tower. I try many ports and still no response. I reboot my PC a few times, then it works. I have never ever had this kind of issue before. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Here are my specs:

X6 1055T Thuban 2.8GHz Socket AM3

GIGABYTE GA-890FXA-UD5 AM3 AMD 890FX SATA 6Gb/s

G.SKILL F3-12800CL6D-4GBPI Pi Series 4GB 2X2GB DDR3-1600 CL6-8-6-24

Coolermaster Silent Pro 1000W SLI ATX12V 24PIN Active PFC PCI-E 135mm Fan

Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus

Antec 1200 case

ps I have win7 32 bit OS

Evan Diaz

Honorable
May 21, 2013
I had a similar situation, whereas my ps/2 mouse and keyboard would freeze after some time . This was the morning after a fresh install of win7 64 ultimate. I went and uninstalled tablet pc components. seems to work fine so far 2 hours in anyways and I've been on youtube and facebook. go to control panel/add remove programs/turn off windows features, hope it helps.

Hope2Help

Honorable
Jun 23, 2013
Hi All - It might be a power saving issue I've seen in lots of windows operating systems with ACPI mobos.
Try switching off Power Management for ALL the USB Root Hubs in the Device Manager i.e. In Device Manager>USB root hub properties>Power management> untick the box that "allows the computer to turn off this device to save power"
If your system keeps resetting in Windows 7 this option see this workaround:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-hardware/windows-7-usb-power-management-wont-allow-me-to-un/f1a339b7-1388-4790-9cf4-3e895f4fb3f7

I've found that windows has a habit of switching off USB ports to save power whether you're using the USB ports or not. This freezes the keyboard/ mouse/ system and causes much frustration!

corazox

Honorable
Mar 5, 2012
I have the same problem and regular freezes too. But I aslo have an additional problem. USB Mouse and USB wifi won't work on first boot have to restart pc. I've tried updating all the drivers and bios. Problem not solved. Happen on both windows 7 and windows 8. Could it be problem with hardware? mainboard or cpu? i've replaced mainboard once already, still occurs.

Ruger6

Reputable
Apr 24, 2014
Hey Sammy, i know this thread is a bit old but i don't see a fix that you have found yet. I ran across your post looking for issues i am having with my GA-890FXA-UD5 but mine are bios related "probably from overclocking" Anyway if you look in your motherboard book on page -11- "in mine" under memory it states "Support for DDR3 1866 (O.C.)/1333/1066. I don't know why there is a setting in the bios to allow 1600 when the board wont support it lol IE under memory clock in bios is has these settings, (x3.33, x6.66, x8.88 or auto for mine). I have memory that default clocks at 1600 ( G.skill) This was causing numerous BSOD/ freezes and restarts with a number of different Error codes. try clocking your memory down to 1333 or up to 1866 if it supports it. i would bet that is your issue as i had the exact same issue with that main board. Mines is REV: 2.1 btw. Hope that helps if you never fixed the issue.

Sagetown

Reputable
Apr 28, 2014

Your Mouse' Optical Eye has a hair or piece of fuzz on it. Use canned air and blow it out.

edward sklar

Reputable
Jun 14, 2014
Has anyone looked at the power supply? they have 2 sides and maybe one side is not putting out what it needs. i have been having mouse and keyboard that freezes up reboot never seem to fix it then i pull the power cord and put it back and it will run fine til the next time, win 7 64bit emachine.

Racska1974

Reputable
Aug 31, 2014
I have a same situation. Also GB MB. It is very hard to find the source of the problem. For me it seem it related to the sudden mouse movement or I lift the mouse up a bit. It started to me with a MB change. Last time I replace one of the SATA cable and I had a crash free 2 week. Today it started again with the mouse. I really do not know. I replaced almost everything. I had no this problem before. May be the Mb is damaged?

softie

Reputable
Dec 1, 2014
Hello again,
Sorry if this is a double post .
I've had the same lock up problems for months.
The cpu cooling tower fins were getting fuzzy, probably acting like a blanket to keep the heat in.
I blew the fins clean with a can of compressed air.

I have not had any lockups since then
softie

Victor Rosez

Reputable
Oct 6, 2014

st96badboy

Reputable
Nov 10, 2014

Yes....Ram speed problem.. same thing for me different mobo I7 1866 RAM. I tired a lot of things first..updated bios, settings, checked for errors, led to possible memory problem. I ran memtest overnight first, and the ram tested good. The Asus mobo was defaulting to 1600 mhz. My 1866 ram would not wake up screen mouse or keyboard from sleep. I would turn off then on then it would start.
Instead of "auto" in bios I force set the ram to 1866. No problems since.(it's been year1/2 ++)

Yes I saw the old date of this post I came here with the same problem. I am just going on record to try to help others.

jimmygee519

Commendable
Aug 27, 2016
hey i know this is an old thread but i was working on the same issue with the same processor and a gigabyte mobo. i disabled the turbo boost feat. on the mobo. didnt have any issues after that.

ZakBoysZak

Commendable
Sep 18, 2016
I try each and every solution and now m going to backup my all 500GB of data to other hard drive and break and remake partition, I wish it will help me to get rid of such kind of bull shit error.

Other thing is that whenever I play any video game it won't freeze during game, but It definitely freezes during browsing or using explorer to perform any task.

ZakBoysZak

Commendable
Sep 18, 2016
I tried each and every solution by everyone but not change. And now I am going to backup my all data and delete partition and remake them and then I wish it's helps me to get rid of this problem. Another thing is that whenever I use to play video game it won't freeze during my video game. But whenever I try to do some tasks in explorer mode It goes freeze.