[SOLVED] PC Freezes, No BSOD, No Event Viewer Logs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 21, 2019
My PC freezes completely randomly the only solution is the hard reset by holding down the power button, nothing else works. It happens sometimes with OBS open while streaming, sometimes while playing games and sometimes while just browsing the net.

It started out of nowhere and no settings have been changed.

(current) Specs:
Motherboard: Asus Rampage VI Extreme
CPU: I9-7980XE @4.5Ghz
GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2080ti
RAM: 64gb Corsair CMW64GX4M4C3200C16
PSU: Corsair RMx 850
Storage: Samsung 960 Evo (500GB) + Corsair mp510 (1tb) + Samsung 850 (2tb)
Other: 1 Elgato 4k60pro, 1 elgato hd60pro.
Currently using a 360mm corsair AIO to eliminate my custom WC loop.

What I've tried:
Replaced the Motherboard
Replaced the RAM (twice)
Replaced the PSU
Dialed back the overclock to 4.2ghz
increased CPU voltage
Run at stock with no OC at all
new power cables
Unplugging all usb devices
updated all drivers
stopped non-essential services

UPDATE:
I tried just 1 RAM stick in various slots (I know that you should install them in a certain order otherwise other instabilities can occur)

In slot A1 it froze, in slot B1 I had no freezes, B1 and C1 with 2 sticks created a new error where instead of freezing the PC would crash and boot loop.

Since I've replaced the motherboard and still have issues I assume this means a Memory channel on my CPU is faulty, since it's the A channel which is the channel you fill first if you don't want other issues I think that means I'm completely screwed?

What's shocking to me is the system passed a 2 pass memtest86 run with all 4 sticks... super intermitent fault maybe?

I'm at my wits end. I work on YT/Twitch full time so this is an absolute nightmare. If anyone can help I'd be eternally grateful. I am pretty sure at this point that it must be my cpu.

Last edited:
Solution
I am not up on the real differences between different RAM module types, but I checked the QVL and see the memory you are using is not there. https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...EXTREME/ROG_RAMPAGE_VI_EXTREME_Memory_QVL.pdf

further is this warning Memory module with memory frequency higher than 2133 MHz and its corresponding timing or the loaded XMP Profile is not the JEDEC memory standard. The stability and compatibility of these memory modules depend on the CPU’s capabilities and other installed devices.
dial back RAM speeds somewhat, and/or, drop down to 32 GB looking for stability w/ 2 sticks.....testing each pair alternately, but, keeping in mind that many mainboards require slightly lower RAM clocks and/or higher voltage if populating 4 slots...(was your kit a 4x16 GB matched kit? Despite it's 3200 MHz designation, try (what should be rock solid) 2133 MHz initially...

Oct 21, 2019
dial back RAM speeds somewhat, and/or, drop down to 32 GB looking for stability w/ 2 sticks.....testing each pair alternately, but, keeping in mind that many mainboards require slightly lower RAM clocks and/or higher voltage if populating 4 slots...(was your kit a 4x16 GB matched kit? Despite it's 3200 MHz designation, try (what should be rock solid) 2133 MHz initially...

It's a 4x16 matched kit. I still froze with no overclocks applied running the ram at 2133.

Oct 21, 2019
UPDATE:
I tried just 1 RAM stick in various slots (I know that you should install them in a certain order otherwise other instabilities can occur)

In slot A1 it froze, in slot B1 I had no freezes, B1 and C1 with 2 sticks created a new error where instead of freezing the PC would crash and boot loop.

Since I've replaced the motherboard and still have issues I assume this means a Memory channel on my CPU is faulty, since it's the A channel which is the channel you fill first if you don't want other issues I think that means I'm completely screwed?

What's shocking to me is the system passed a 2 pass memtest86 run with all 4 sticks... super intermitent fault maybe?

I am not up on the real differences between different RAM module types, but I checked the QVL and see the memory you are using is not there. https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...EXTREME/ROG_RAMPAGE_VI_EXTREME_Memory_QVL.pdf

further is this warning Memory module with memory frequency higher than 2133 MHz and its corresponding timing or the loaded XMP Profile is not the JEDEC memory standard. The stability and compatibility of these memory modules depend on the CPU’s capabilities and other installed devices.

Solution
Oct 21, 2019
I am not up on the real differences between different RAM module types, butI checked the QVL and see the memory you are using is not there. https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...EXTREME/ROG_RAMPAGE_VI_EXTREME_Memory_QVL.pdf

The memory released after the motherboard but it is compatible. The other 2 memory sets I used were on the QVL list and I still had the same issue.

I've basically come to the conclusion that the A memory channel on my cpu has an intermittent fault. PC ran with no freezes for 36 hours now with no RAM in the A channel.

Obviously that's causing other issues (like failure to boot etc) but at least it's let me diagnose the issue.

The only fix is a new CPU, which sucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.